British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
azda

Photography

Just a few thoughts...you will get slightly sharper images if you use an f-stop of around 5.6 to 11, possibly up to f-14. Opened beyond that, macro images will show softness (blurriness) due to diffraction. Also, if your camera is mounted very solidly with no vibrations, you will get sharper images if you set your ISO down to 100. If your tripod is really sturdy, a slightly longer exposure can actually sometimes increase the sharpness of macro photos because the shutter slap isn't as pronounced.

Cheers,

-Brandon

I know this isn't a photography forum (ithough I do belong to one) - but shutter slap (aka mirror slap) just isn't a feature on mirrorless system cameras. They have the advantage of being that much smaller, and that includes lenses as well as sensors, because the lens (sans mirror) can be that much closer to the sensor reducing the size of both with no detriment to resolution. This is why I predict that DSLRs are in their dog days now, and it's only the likes of Canon and Nikon - with decades invested in their systems - that will delay the inevitable. I'm not even sure if Panasonic have a DSLR anymore, and also Fuji and Olympus are working hard to make the mirrorless systems the de facto standard.

There, I've said my piece!

Actually, I was referring to shutter shake or slap, not mirror slap. I shoot with Canon, and when photographing coins the mirror is locked up. There is no mirror slap. Canon does have an electronic first shutter curtain (EFSC), but the tailing shutter curtain is still a physical one. That causes a little bit of shake, but for the most part is negligible at magnifications less than 1:1. It's only really a small problem when you are doing 2:1 or 4:1 macro work on die varieties or over mint marks or something of the sort. Nikon cameras do not have EFSC, but have two physically moving shutter curtains (which is why most photomacrographers shoot with Canon).

Mirrorless cameras aren't really much different from mirrored DSLR cameras. The only thing the mirror is used for in DSLRs is to reflect the composition image up to the pentaprism so that you can see what you're pointing at through the eyepiece. When the mirror is up, you can still use the electronic Live View for composition and manual focus. I'm not familiar as to whether they have figured out how to make both shutter curtains electronic, which would remove all "moving parts" in the process of taking a photograph. I suppose there is no functional reason why both curtains couldn't be electronic.

I know a pretty eminent photographer who would agree with you. For me the key is not the camera body but the lenses and what they allow you to photograph whether it be macro, wide angle or telephoto.

Yes, I so agree. The newest 'arrivals' are Sony and Panasonic, neither with a long tradition of camera-making stretching back over decades - yet between them they supply lenses from the two best lens manufacturers / designers : Sony with Zeiss and Panasonic with Leica.

Mirrorless cameras aren't really much different from mirrored DSLR cameras. The only thing the mirror is used for in DSLRs is to reflect the composition image up to the pentaprism so that you can see what you're pointing at through the eyepiece. When the mirror is up, you can still use the electronic Live View for composition and manual focus. I'm not familiar as to whether they have figured out how to make both shutter curtains electronic, which would remove all "moving parts" in the process of taking a photograph. I suppose there is no functional reason why both curtains couldn't be electronic.

I guess not. However, I do remember how the best SLRs - e.g. my good old Minolta XD7 - always left you with a single mechanical shutter speed (usually 1/60) in case of battery failure. Sadly modern cameras can't function non-electronically. :(

Yes, I so agree. The newest 'arrivals' are Sony and Panasonic, neither with a long tradition of camera-making stretching back over decades - yet between them they supply lenses from the two best lens manufacturers / designers : Sony with Zeiss and Panasonic with Leica.I guess not.

However, I do remember how the best SLRs - e.g. my good old Minolta XD7 - always left you with a single mechanical shutter speed (usually 1/60) in case of battery failure. Sadly modern cameras can't function non-electronically. :(

Sony bought Konica Minolta which is how they got their camera making expertise.

Brandon

You have the top bollocks in photography and some nice tokens....well respected. :)

Yes, I so agree. The newest 'arrivals' are Sony and Panasonic, neither with a long tradition of camera-making stretching back over decades - yet between them they supply lenses from the two best lens manufacturers / designers : Sony with Zeiss and Panasonic with Leica.I guess not.

However, I do remember how the best SLRs - e.g. my good old Minolta XD7 - always left you with a single mechanical shutter speed (usually 1/60) in case of battery failure. Sadly modern cameras can't function non-electronically. :(

Yes, they did. But they haven't persisted very far down the line with what they inherited - they've kind of ploughed their own furrow for some years now, and have used Zeiss rather than Rokkor (or equivalent) for the same time. Though I believe Rokkor lenses may be usable on earlier Sony cameras?

Yes, they did. But they haven't persisted very far down the line with what they inherited - they've kind of ploughed their own furrow for some years now, and have used Zeiss rather than Rokkor (or equivalent) for the same time. Though I believe Rokkor lenses may be usable on earlier Sony cameras?

Interesting. I don't really follow the photography industry. I chose to go with Nikon and pretty much stick with their lenses.

I've got Nikon DSLRS and binoculars.

When I was a penny less student I had a Prakctica B200 SLR with Zeiss lenses(I could never part with it)

When I was a penny less student I had a Prakctica B200 SLR with Zeiss lenses(I could never part with it)

I still have my Zorki 4 from penniless student days :) "Ohhhh, those RRRRRussians..."

I still have my Zorki 4 from penniless student days :) "Ohhhh, those RRRRRussians..."

When I was a student I had an Instamatic. Now that really is 'penniless'.

• Like 1

Mine was East German

When I was a student I had an Instamatic. Now that really is 'penniless'.

Mine was East German

Some awesome crap cameras, let's admit it :D - though having said that, those Eastern bloc cameras had nifty lenses. It's just that the Zenit was one hefty SLR when you also had to carry around a separate meter, a flashgun, and a jeep to chase after the rhino that got bored waiting for you to set the exposure! :lol: Solid metal though. It's said Black Sabbath wouldn't use anything else...

I used my Praktica on safari in Kenya and the following year on touring the West Coast of USA.

We went to USA with friends who used a top of the range Cannon SLR....guess who produced the best pictures :)

I used my Praktica on safari in Kenya and the following year on touring the West Coast of USA.

We went to USA with friends who used a top of the range Cannon SLR....guess who produced the best pictures :)

It's not the camera so much, it's the eyes and brain behind it... :) I belong to a photography forum where one of the most talented members produces awesome shots with his iPhone.

I sometimes feel that modern digital cameras devalue the art of photography.

some of my most memorable shots were taken with a Halina Paulette and then with a small compact Canon QL25 until it got inundated with sea water.

Next three cameras were Prakticas until I graduated to a Yashica, the last of the film cameras.

I often think of the shots I missed while at sea but that's the region for memories and I have enough to jog the brain cells into action.

Now I can keep my finger on the button and take a series without worrying about running out of film. Then pick the best, but that never happens and this PC is crammed full of failures. :unsure:

some of my most memorable shots were taken with a Halina Paulette and then with a small compact Canon QL25 until it got inundated with sea water.

Next three cameras were Prakticas until I graduated to a Yashica, the last of the film cameras.

I often think of the shots I missed while at sea but that's the region for memories and I have enough to jog the brain cells into action.

Now I can keep my finger on the button and take a series without worrying about running out of film. Then pick the best, but that never happens and this PC is crammed full of failures. :unsure:

Was your Yashica FXG?

I was hankering after a Pentax ME super.

The guy I told you about above (with the iPhone - he also has "proper" cameras too) came up with an interesting exercise a while back : pick one single focal length, and go out shooting as if you had a roll of 36 film in the camera - i.e. don't take more than 36 shots, don't preview what you've just shot, don't delete, and don't post-process apart from colour balance and exposure. I went out and followed that, and it was really creative; the 36 shots I got weren't all equally good, but I stopped and thought about each one and I was generally pleased with the results. There's a lot in what you say.

I hankered after a Minolta XD7 for years - I finally bought one secondhand 11 years after they first came out. Imagine that nowadays? (There again, have you noticed the manufacturers like Fuji and Sony and Panasonic all now carrying at least one line with old-fashioned manual rings and controls? I'm currently lusting after the LX100...)

In the past we often used to go for long walks on a Sunday armed with my SLR.

I would shoot 36 photographs and post them to bonus photo or the like...it was quite cheap and exiting awaiting the developed pictures.

Was your Yashica FXG?

It was a Yashica 230-AF. My son now has it because he's into retro stuff. I liked it because of the trap focus system but the motor drive could use up a roll of film pretty smartish. :unsure:

I have an Olympus OM-1 MD in the garage along with what is looking a lot like a collection of cameras from bellows to digital. Must have a clear out. :(

In the past we often used to go for long walks on a Sunday armed with my SLR.

I would shoot 36 photographs and post them to bonus photo or the like...it was quite cheap and exiting awaiting the developed pictures.

We used to do much the same thing around Hull and now the photographs are reminders of buildings and scenes that have disappeared.

I've just bought paintshop pro x7 whatever x7 is

I've just bought paintshop pro x7 whatever x7 is

It means that anytime you have the number 7 in a photo it will be painted out :P

7 is a magical number...

Just tried out the ipad camera On this set, seems to be ok. Thoughts?

post-5057-0-55431500-1414672733_thumb.jp

As a general overview of a set, that looks fine to me.

As a general overview of a set, that looks fine to me.

Great, so now I'll wait for some sunshine and a little bit of time to myself and TRY and get them all done