British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

numismatist

Does this 1962 Penny have an ARABIC 1 ?

There are no examples shown in Gouby's book! However, the Arabic "1" was used on all pennies, beginning in 1895.

Thanks Rob and RLC35 , I always live in hope of finding something for nothing but

I thought the Top Left Serif looked very large, wheras on any Photos of 1862 pennies

I can find they are very small and at 90 degrees but mine has a very sharp angle and

looks far more chunky ?

Edited by numismatist

Thanks Rob and RLC35 , I always live in hope of finding something for nothing but

I thought the Top Left Serif looked very large, wheras on any Photos of 1862 pennies

I can find they are very small and at 90 degrees but mine has a very sharp angle and

looks far more chunky ?

Which is why I think it is a broken punch

Not quite the same, but I have this 1874 which is CGS certified as an inverted Arabic 1 over 1. Whether it's really that, or something entirely different, I don't know? The general consensus here is against it being an Arabic 1. Also, it's not clear what happened to the 4!

Penny1874%20F72%207%20+%20H%20REVa.jpg

Edited by Accumulator

looks like a dye error, there is a crack leading to the top of the 1

depends whether it's incuse or raised - to my eyes it looked incuse at first but I admit it could be seen either way.

depends whether it's incuse or raised - to my eyes it looked incuse at first but I admit it could be seen either way.

I don't have the coin to hand but I'm fairly sure, from memory, that the 'Arabic' 1 is raised.

I don't have the coin to hand but I'm fairly sure, from memory, that the 'Arabic' 1 is raised.

No, I was talking to scott about the die crack/scratch!!!