British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Accumulator

1862 Penny - small date

I bought an 1862 'small date' penny in the recent LC auction. The example was much better than the usual washer but does need a little treatment for a small patch of verd. It's currently sitting in olive oil, awaiting a delivery of verd-care.

Anyway, I was looking at the digits used for the date. Gouby states that, "probably a halfpenny punch was used". Does anyone have an 1862 halfpenny for comparison?

Below is a photo showing the normal penny and the smaller date, in similar condition.

1862.jpg

My small date Penny is one of the usual 'washers' , but here it is with a Halfpenny on top

post-5660-0-07463600-1410885544_thumb.jp

post-5660-0-86183200-1410885750_thumb.jp

Edited by just.me

Interesting, but without trying to overlay the images I find it difficult to be sure. The "1" seems wider on the penny, but that may just be due to the strike?

I don't have an 1862 penny, but this 1860 does 3/4 of the job. Both are as struck, so no wear to consider, just quality of strike or worn dies.

This was discussed about 7 or 8 years ago and the results were that the halfpenny numerals are roughly 10-15% smaller

post-381-0-24871200-1410891183_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rob