British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
bronze mad

1876 H Farthing Large 6?

Is it a large six? i'm not used to handling many of this year for comparison!

post-8278-0-28299600-1410469346_thumb.jp

Awkward to tell from that image, it is the 6 in relation to the other digits that determines the type. On your example the end of the tail of the 6 is not very clear, to determine position, although the size of the loop would indicate it likely to be the Large 6

This is another variety that is still uncertain, the large 6 is not as obvious as other larger digits, and may well be the result of a recut digit making aspects of the digit look slightly enlarged.

Awkward to tell from that image, it is the 6 in relation to the other digits that determines the type. On your example the end of the tail of the 6 is not very clear, to determine position, although the size of the loop would indicate it likely to be the Large 6

This is another variety that is still uncertain, the large 6 is not as obvious as other larger digits, and may well be the result of a recut digit making aspects of the digit look slightly enlarged.

Yes, the 'fat 8' of 1862 is clearer - I remember when a dealer friend of mine paid £200 for a large box of coins (mostly in Whitman folders) at W&W just to get one. He filtered it out and offered me the entire rest of the lot at a fair price so we were both happy!

the top of the six is very faint, but up near the exgergue, and it is much thicker than my other example that i have, this is why i bought it. I will try and upload a sharper picture, what exactly does large 6 mean? taller? fatter? I have seen recut 6 which is probably what mine is.

ive tried to do another photo but having difficulties getting sharpness, so it might be small as f**k

looking at the date numerals they all look like they have been re-cut? what do you guys think?

post-8278-0-99529900-1410550742_thumb.jp