British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Michael-Roo

Coin Monthly 1970.

What's cats to do with coin pix?

Geordie's 'My Gallery' link (above the Omicoin one).

What's cats to do with coin pix?

Geordie's 'My Gallery' link (above the Omicoin one).

You mean ... people use their Galleries here for non-coin pics? :o

John Peel and my trusty radio cassette. :)

I also went to the local record shop and always bought the 12" singles.

I was a coin collecting punk.(16 years old in 77)

Ah. Those were the days…..

I was a few years older than you, but yes, 76-77 was a fine time to be around. Never saw the Sex Pistols but I did get to see the Clash a few times.

I was a few years older than you, but yes, 76-77 was a fine time to be around. Never saw the Sex Pistols but I did get to see the Clash a few times.

You missed nothing! The most overhyped band of all time, but I do realise it's impossible for anyone from the Punk Generation to be "unMacLarened" :D

You missed nothing! The most overhyped band of all time, but I do realise it's impossible for anyone from the Punk Generation to be "unMacLarened" :D

You're not wrong! ;)

You're not wrong! ;)

I remember laughing out loud when they released Flogging a Dead Horse (Vol 1), talk about blatant (and blatant irony) - genius I guess!

You're not wrong! ;)

I remember laughing out loud when they released Flogging a Dead Horse (Vol 1), talk about blatant (and blatant irony) - genius I guess!

Presumably that was after Malcolm's passing on? :D

A few memories here from someone who saw Slade, Mud, Wizzard and Sweet live back in the day, before moving into Deep Puple, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd etc.

My first big purchases, when I started earning, were sports car (MG Midget), batchelor flat and stereo system (in that order). In those days flats were actually affordable!

The stereo was a Linn Sondek, Nad amp and Mission 7000 speakers. Fantastic! I only sold the (by then, broken) Sondek about 3 years ago and have never had so many watchers and bids on eBay!

From your list I saw Slade and Pink Floyd. My first live shows were April 71 (I was 12). Rolling Stones and T.Rex, Both within the same week. Around 50p a pop!

From your list I saw Slade and Pink Floyd. My first live shows were April 71 (I was 12). Rolling Stones and T.Rex, Both within the same week. Around 50p a pop!

At the end of their set, Dave Hill removed his wig to reveal he was completely bald.... Quite a shock for the fans!

I saw a load of bands and found my 1st love at a gig in Cambridge.

The Ramones was the loudest blast ever and the corn exchange was like one big toilet.

I have a tear in my eye.

My ears still shudder to this day.

A few memories here from someone who saw Slade, Mud, Wizzard and Sweet live back in the day, before moving into Deep Puple, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd etc.

The stereo was a Linn Sondek, Nad amp and Mission 7000 speakers. Fantastic! I only sold the (by then, broken) Sondek about 3 years ago and have never had so many watchers and bids on eBay!

I still have my ProJect turntable with Denon moving coil cartridge, Ion amplifier, and I used to have some great JPW speakers on stands, but sadly they went with a move and now I have to "make do" with Kef shelf speakers instead.

I saw The Stones (twice), The Who (6 times), Genesis (5 times), The Floyd (3 times), Paul McCartney (once), but also The Grateful Dead (best gig I ever saw), Captain Beefheart, Steve Earle, T.Rex, Traffic, King Crimson, Hawkwind (3 or 4 times), Dr John, Dr Feelgood, Wishbone Ash, Focus (urgh!), Lindisfarne, The Faces, The Beach Boys, Joan Baez, Yes, The Kinks, Donovan, Brinsley Schwarz, David Bowie, Taj Mahal, Thin Lizzie, Elton John, Duran Duran, Incredible String Band, Steve Miller Band, Roy Harper, Mountain, The Afro-Celts, The Afro-Cubans, The Levellers, Led Zeppelin, Robert Plant, ELP (oh God I wish I hadn't :( ), Van Der Graaf Generator, Slade, Chuck Berry, Fairport Convention, Eric Clapton, Chris Rea, Average White Band, The Penguin Café Orchestra, The Dixie Hummingbirds, La Bottine Souriante, Jools Holland's R&B Big Band, Glenn Tillbrook, Misty In Roots, Annie diFranco, Caravan, Ian Dury, and others too numerous to mention.

I always regret going to see a less than perfect set from Yes on a night when I could instead have gone to see Alice Cooper :( :( :( I'm told that The Sweet - despite their awful bubblegum start to life - were a really great live act, second only to The Who in 'heavy rock'. I never saw them, so I can't confirm that...

Other acts I wish I'd seen : Bob Dylan, Neil Young, The Beatles, Jefferson Airplane, The Buzzcocks, The Undertones, Magazine, Roxy Music, The Specials, Madness, The Beat, Simon & Garfunkel, Cream, Spirit, Steely Dan (we actually had tickets for a gig in Birmingham but they never turned up), Earth Wind & Fire, James Brown, Otis Redding, Tangerine Dream, Jean-Michel Jarre, Faust, Kraftwerk, Blood Sweat & Tears, Frank Zappa, Girls At Our Best!, and many others too...

Edited by Peckris

Chris! How do you remember all this???? Do you keep a journal?!?!

(Just pulling your leg).

I've seen most of the bands you have, and quite a lot you haven't mentioned.

From your 'wish you'd seen' list: I made a point of catching the Specials whenever they came around. A fabulous live act.

From 77 to 80 I was on the permanent guest list at Eric's Club, so saw an awful lot of the acts who were booked there (some I really wish I hadn't!).

Also from your wish list, I've seen: Dylan. Buzzcocks. Undertones. Roxy twice (first time when Eno was still with them). The Beat. James Brown.

Dylan, Roxy (2nd time), and James Brown were at the annual Summer Pops Festivals which used to be held in a big tent on the Liverpool waterfront. Much as Dylan was great (for the first 15 hours….), he stayed on for so long that my wife and I actually ended up listening to the end of his set from the beer tent next door.

James Brown's show was, again, fab but it was the Summer of the 1st Iraq war. When the go-go dancers began waving American flags about lots of the audience began grumbling and several shouted abuse. Good old Liverpool. never disappoints….. :D

Chris! How do you remember all this???? Do you keep a journal?!?!

(Just pulling your leg).

I've seen most of the bands you have, and quite a lot you haven't mentioned.

From your 'wish you'd seen' list: I made a point of catching the Specials whenever they came around. A fabulous live act.

From 77 to 80 I was on the permanent guest list at Eric's Club, so saw an awful lot of the acts who were booked there (some I really wish I hadn't!).

Also from your wish list, I've seen: Dylan. Buzzcocks. Undertones. Roxy twice (first time when Eno was still with them). The Beat. James Brown.

Dylan, Roxy (2nd time), and James Brown were at the annual Summer Pops Festivals which used to be held in a big tent on the Liverpool waterfront. Much as Dylan was great (for the first 15 hours….), he stayed on for so long that my wife and I actually ended up listening to the end of his set from the beer tent next door.

James Brown's show was, again, fab but it was the Summer of the 1st Iraq war. When the go-go dancers began waving American flags about lots of the audience began grumbling and several shouted abuse. Good old Liverpool. never disappoints….. :D

Though I was brung up in Liverpool, my musical life was mostly in Birmingham!, various festivals, and more latterly The Cambridge "Folk" Festival, which is where I caught the Fairports, Joan Baez, Steve Earle, Taj Mahal, The Dixie Hummingbirds, Robert Plant, Jools Holland, Penguin Café, The Levellers ... to which list you can also add Jackson Browne, The Oyster Band, Townes Van Zandt, Capercaillie, Divine Comedy, Beth Orton, Alison Krauss, Liza Carthy, Donal Lunny, Sharon Shannon, The Saw Doctors, Keb Mo', Jimmy Cliff (AWESOME), Natalie McMaster, and probably more too numerous to mention.

I can always remember a good gig! The Who, Genesis, and Pink Floyd never let me down, but the one time I saw Led Zeppelin I came away somewhat underwhelmed. Though on record they are just awesome. Shame really.

You were in the midst of the Second Merseybeat explosion. Kudos.