British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Greaves

Query on 1860 bronze penny

I have just bought an 1860 bronze penny. I am pretty sure it is a reverse d. The teeth are very clear and consistent around the edge as the image shows. However I am unclear about the obverse. Firstly I am not sure if there are teeth or beads. If they are teeth they are certainly smaller than those on the reverse and less distinct. Also there are certain sections on the obverse where there are no teeth or beads at all, i.e. between the G: to the B of BRITT and at the bottom of the coin. Under the magnifier I can see no signs the teeth or beads are worn in these areas, and this seems unlikely anyway given the reverse is so good and there is no wear on its teeth. Any comments and advice would be appreciatedIMG_0054_zps2a24eef8.jpg?t=1409831053IMG_0053_zpsbf19e4ea.jpg?t=1409831043

Here's one of mine which looks remarkably similar. Long, well defined, teeth on the reverse. Short, bead like, teeth on the obverse.

post-8388-0-63236600-1409835333_thumb.jp

post-8388-0-00179800-1409835366_thumb.jp

Definitely teeth. Beads are slightly 'inboard' of the rim, with a small gap between the two. Even on very worn specimens you can see the whole bead(s) in one or two places, and they're quite unmistakeable. As Michael's example shows, the first obverse teeth were really quite short and can be confused for beads by the inexperienced eye.

I'm looking at my cell phone... small screen....

but BOTH coins appear to be obverse 4's with a Central Cut Ribbon.... can't tell sub-varieties though from this screen....

They are the same dies surely.

Reverse both have trident prongs to space

Obverse both have the weak topping to the O in one penny.

Thanks all for the useful information. Any thoughts on the absence of teeth on the obverse especially between G: and B of BRITT? Just wear and tear?

Bronze & Copper Collector says both coins are obverse 4s. In Michael Gouby's book "The British Bronze Penny" he uses capital letters for the obverses. I assume a 4 equates to a D?

its wear probably.

looks like it could be satin 18 or Gouby S

Thanks all for the useful information. Any thoughts on the absence of teeth on the obverse especially between G: and B of BRITT? Just wear and tear?

Bronze & Copper Collector says both coins are obverse 4s. In Michael Gouby's book "The British Bronze Penny" he uses capital letters for the obverses. I assume a 4 equates to a D?

Freeman obverse 4..... he doesn't differentiate between the fishtail cut or the central cut ribbon....

GOUBY obverse G... LCWYON below bust with central cut ribbon....

Again, there are subvarieties which I can't determine on the small screen...

But Satin-18 or Gouby-S is probable...

Guest half penny error

i have an english half penny 1937 with two sides idenically clipped , has anyone heard of this hapoening before the coin has hit two straight edges 

On 18/2/2017 at 8:26 AM, Guest half penny error said:

i have an english half penny 1937 with two sides idenically clipped , has anyone heard of this hapoening before the coin has hit two straight edges 

Do you have a picture to show? Not quite sure what you mean..