British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
sound

Decimal Rarities

Thought that this was helpful of the mint. I know most on here collect from earlier periods but does anyone have any of these?

Mark

post-7872-0-09565700-1409501504_thumb.jp

Hi Mark.

Can't read your attachment very well (too small) but, most likely, the mint hyping up on behalf of their sales department?

Others will be better informed than I am… :)

These are low mintages for circulated coins. High grade will be hard to come by.

I contacted the mint under the freedom of information act with regard to the 2011 Edinburgh £1. Someone tipped me off they were scarce. Managed to pick a few up in in uncirculated.

Mark

I just don't agree about the Wales Commonwealth Games £2 - there's so many of these they are a dragon the market...

I just don't agree about the Wales Commonwealth Games £2 - there's so many of these they are a dragon the market...

Peck,

Do you have any decimal coins in your collection?

Mark

I find modern decimals so aesthetically unappealing. I'm sure many will feel differently about them in the future.

Probably some, seeing the new copper of 1672, or bronze of 1860, for the first time thought those equally unattractive too!

Peck,

Mark

I do indeed! Many of the proof sets, some of the scarcer pre-BU-set items, and quite a few of the official issues (snapped up for bargain prices at auction :) )

However, I think you missed my little Welsh joke.

I find modern decimals so aesthetically unappealing. I'm sure many will feel differently about them in the future.

I've had a fair bit of fun with them, at a time I could do little else! It's the only opportunity to 'feel' what it was like for all those 'boys' on here who collected from change ions ago! Second only to squatting in rubble and playing machine guns in the early forties. Good fun, mostly, for the kids at least!

I believe Christmas was better appreciated back then too!

Peck,

Mark

I do indeed! Many of the proof sets, some of the scarcer pre-BU-set items, and quite a few of the official issues (snapped up for bargain prices at auction :) )

However, I think you missed my little Welsh joke.

I did indeed. LOL. You are much too subtle for me.

I find decimal coinage to be just too manufactured. I wonder did anyone say that about Gothic florins.

However the Edinburgh £1.00's did appeal as they ticked the potential rarity boxes.

Mark

I've had a fair bit of fun with them, at a time I could do little else! It's the only opportunity to 'feel' what it was like for all those 'boys' on here who collected from change ions ago! Second only to squatting in rubble and playing machine guns in the early forties. Good fun, mostly, for the kids at least!

I first became interested when 'check your change' was all the rage in 1969-71. As a kid of 11-12 I was fascinated to be finding coins in my pocket which were anything up to 110 years old. Worn almost flat, obviously, but, at that age, precious to me nevertheless. I still have them. Even though I now have coins in my collection worth several £100's it is those first humble kept pennies and halfpennies which

I'd be most likely to hold on to.

I have 2 maybe 3 of the commonwealth games ones the £2 at 7 and 8 (have 2 of the the 8th one) and a fair few of the Olympic 50ps

http://www.phespirit.info/montypython/four_yorkshiremen.htm

• Like 1

http://www.phespirit.info/montypython/four_yorkshiremen.htm
Brilliant MR, thoroughly enjoyed that read, being an Am Dram an' all! :)

I can't see any rare coins in the RM picture.

The real rarities are of course the cock-ups - 1983 NEW PENCE 2p and the Olympic Swimmer 50p with lines on her face.

My favourite scarce (or perhaps it also counts as rare) decimal is the 1999 standard reverse £2 coin. They simply cannot be found in UNC/BU condition simply because the 1999 year set didn't include one for some odd reason (it included the Rugby commem). It's not a low mintage at all, but it seems all 38 odd million of them got used and abused. That's one for the future, if you can find one! I can't.

I can't see any rare coins in the RM picture.

The real rarities are of course the cock-ups - 1983 NEW PENCE 2p and the Olympic Swimmer 50p with lines on her face.

My favourite scarce (or perhaps it also counts as rare) decimal is the 1999 standard reverse £2 coin. They simply cannot be found in UNC/BU condition simply because the 1999 year set didn't include one for some odd reason (it included the Rugby commem). It's not a low mintage at all, but it seems all 38 odd million of them got used and abused. That's one for the future, if you can find one! I can't.

2Pounds1999_zps3da55b81.jpg

Best example I ever found, it has a few bag marks and seems to be about uncircuated

Greetings from Germany :)

Probably because Joe Public was too busy searching for the "ultra rare" Queen-wearing-a-necklace 1997 one, then going into spontaneous orgasm (repeat several million times) when he found one. :lol:

Very interesting! May I ask for a more detailed scan please? :-)

I have a few that are: 3rd, 7th, 10th and 17th. I also have some of the Olympic ones - loose and UNC in packets - but figured they were not worth taking pictures of.

I wouldn't really say I collect decimal coins; I am more for pre decimal silver, but I often can't resist pulling special coins from my change!

Thanks for posting this picture, as I now no what to look out for!

post-8432-0-73427100-1410985117_thumb.jp