British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
azda

Alexander III thoughts on grade

I bought this one recently and invited opinions on grade, i won't say yet where its from, but your grading opinions would be appreciated. I don't have the coin in Hand yet.

post-5057-0-82627800-1409486590_thumb.jp

Very nice Dave :)

To be honest, now seeing it small like that, I see minimal wear at all. And it looks to be better than average on eye appeal.

But I'm going to defer to people like Clive, Rob and Stuart to state an actual grade I'm afraid!

:)

Wear looks pretty minimal - just a little in centre of rev - so I'll have to say GVF (I almost never grade hammered any higher!)

Sticking my neck out here, but….. not that I'd want to invite flak or anything…..

For hammered this looks tremendous Dave. EF obverse. GVF reverse.

?????

That's stonking Dave, extremely attractive and high grade imo - not my area but I will have a guess that the experts might some up with NEF overall?

Wear looks pretty minimal - just a little in centre of rev - so I'll have to say GVF (I almost never grade hammered any higher!)

Oh, well, you might find this amusing then!

post-129-0-27223000-1409508188_thumb.jpg

Oh, well, you might find this amusing then!attachicon.giflf.jpg

Lol, MS63???? I have 1 or 2 hammered that I also think would be graded similar by both NGC and PCGS

I like the coin- seems GVF would be reasonable

Ok the concensus seems to be GVF. So the story behind this coin is that it was part of the middridge hoard found in 1974 and sold through Glendinings in Dec 1977 lot 806 in which 7 coins were in this lot. 275 coins were found in the hoard and 44 were in similar grade as this one, the Rest were graded as Fine or less.

This was graded as VF in 1977 which in my mind seems low and hence the reason i asked opinions, yet Spink sold it last year Sept 24-25th lot 271 and was graded again as VF which hammered at £200 with the same provenance, so i'm just wondering if Spink has obviously just took the grade from Glens and Applied it to their listing, as we can see, 37 years ago they were fairly strict with a grade, i'd even happigste send this to CGS and think i'd get a 55 grade back IMO

This coin speaks for itself...Would submitting it to CGS really add to the value of the coin to the hammered collector base? I am not trying to be difficult, but there is a risk that slabbing this one may be viewed as more of an unnecessary distraction than an endorsement of a GVF grade.

This coin speaks for itself...Would submitting it to CGS really add to the value of the coin to the hammered collector base? I am not trying to be difficult, but there is a risk that slabbing this one may be viewed as more of an unnecessary distraction than an endorsement of a GVF grade.

You may have misunderstood, i said i'd be happy to send it to CGS and think i'd get a CGS 55 back, i never said i would though as i don't do slabs

Sorry... I misunderstood.

GVF, one I would buy an' enjoys myself.

I nearly bought that coin from the CNG coin shop recently. I like it. A really well struck Good VF. Bit of encrustations tells me it's only been gently cleaned from the hoard. Great coin!

I would not slab this coin. The only coins I slab are milled and UNC and I'm selling it at a US auction house...

Edited by Nicholas

They had a good bit of cash from me in August, but i'm very happy with the Liz groat i purchased and hopefully this one will be the same. I'm on holiday at the mo, so hopefully it will be there when i get home as i asked them to delay posting for 10 days

Edited by azda