British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
ozjohn

1892 Florin

I was reorganizing my florin collection and noticed I have an 1892 jubilee head florin. I checked the value with the Value of UK Coins of Great Britain and England site where it is listed as F 30 GBP, VF GBP 100 GBP & EF GBP 325. The first question is are these realistic values and the second is what is the grade of this coin? My grading of the coin is VF+ to EF-. Any comments please.

post-8305-0-20306800-1409460285_thumb.jp

post-8305-0-58781800-1409460314_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Between VF and EF is the right grade, I'd say. There's just a little bit too much wear for EF. The prices in CCGB (probably a little more realistic) are £30 £75 £250.

Very nice obverse. There is a bit of wear evident on the reverse (lions faces, crown at 12 o'clock etc.). Chris is correct. Overall GVF, or a tad better. Attractive colour too!

I like your coin. As for the grade, GVF or NEF (British standards) seems okay. Everyone has their ow point of reference on these so I will share mine. The 1891 and 92 Florins are tough in higher grades. I just do not see many MS examples. I think there is somewhat of a disconnect with collectors and a coin such as yours. This date with this look just does not capture the attention it deserves. So this observation may account in part for the catalog value which is higher than how most collectors value the coin. I would tend to believe that this example should easily fetch 120-130 pounds if not more.

Catalogs are helpful, however, they are guide with some valuations that are high and others that flat out miss the mark. I would not rely solely on a catalog to value a coin like this. I would consider the surviving population and the chances of finding a better example. Not sure this helps, but hopefully it provides a slightly different perspective worthy of consideration.

I looked at the images again. While there are obverse field disturbances to the left of the portrait, the lustre on the reserve looks stunning. I am more inclined to say the coin could bring more than what I initially wrote. So I am revising my estimate to 200 pounds and that still might be on the lite side.

I would literally be a buyer at 200 pounds right now. This coin still has plenty of lustre and is softly struck (yes, the lions and Vick's hair, veil, etc.). This coin IMO is EF on technical grounds, though as was alluded above soft strike leaving a bit underwhelmed as far as visual "snap".

This is a nice coin from appearances, and may look better in hand. PM me if you want a sale..

On a similar vein, an 1889 Jub head small bust shilling went off for sale in America in a PCGS66 holder a couple of years ago and because it was such an ugly design (IMO also), just did not attract buyers the way it should have & went for about 1900 USD by recall. This for a scarce date but truly rare in higher UNC grades.....

PS - The lions are not all that soft and the apparent chatter to the field to Left of Vick is probably also overrepresented by the photo & showing some reflectivity.

Edited by VickySilver

Trying to improve my coin photography rather than a flat bed scanner which seems to show flat surfaces where the coin comes in contact with the glass plate. This was taken with a hand held Canon A540 6MP with close up lens. I'm looking for a camera stand but they seem to be just about impossible to obtain in Australia although I have seen some cheapies on Ebay but the freight is GBP60 for something costing GBP30. I hope this shows the coin better than my last effort.

post-8305-0-93412000-1409714683_thumb.jp

post-8305-0-19402800-1409714719_thumb.jp

they seem to be just about impossible to obtain in Australia

Maybe try looking for a table top tripod, John. Mine cost me abut £12.

Declan

Could you point me in the way of your table top tripod.?

Will it take a DSLR or compact only.I have both with macro.?

Thanx Peter

Edited by Peter

Declan

Thanx Peter

Mine (1970s) is KAISER make - I saw recently they're still in business. Worth a Google?

Declan

Thanx Peter

Mine (1970s) is KAISER make - I saw recently they're still in business. Worth a Google?

I got one of these from my local Jessops some time ago - perfect for coins and great value IMO:

http://www.jessops.com/online.store/categories/products/jessops/micro-tripod-76393/show.html

Thanks Gents for info on Tripods :)

Paulus yours is on offer in Jessops at £3.99 but isn't suitable for a DSLR. :(

You'll need a pretty substantial tripod to take the weight of a DLSR, especially if you want to point the camera downwards.

You don't need a DSLR for coins. You said your compact has a macro setting? That's all you need.

I looked at tripods. Again anything that was any good was very expensive and they did not seem to be able to pointed directly downwards which I think is necessary if you want to reduce distortion of the picture. Possibly you can correct this with Photoshop but the least post processing the better Also the stability of the camera tripod combination is questionable as the camera is not over the center axis.

Mine points straight downwards, but then it's not a DSLR. Do you need one? Probably not. Macro on a point and click does me just fine...

• Like 1

That's what I use, great piece of kit!!!

Nice images- looks to be EF by British standards and easily in the AU55-58 range if graded by a US TPG.

Thanks Gary 1000,

Only one problem he doesn't mail the item to Australia.

Thanks Gary 1000,

Only one problem he doesn't mail the item to Australia.

Have you asked him as it could be worth a try. I would suggest someone in the UK buy it then repost it to you but with the £8 UK postage and whatever it would cost to ship to Oz it might get a bit expensive.

Let us know how you get on with that? If it works out, it looks like a very useful piece of kit for the money especially as the lights are also included.

I've got one. It's excellent value and packs away very neatly indeed for storage or transport. The camera stand is ok, if a little bit lightweight, but ok for compact cameras. The lights are halogen, so be careful where you place them relative to the light tent and how you handle them once you're done. However, you can buy replacement bulbs (LED etc) that do the job and don't get anywhere near as hot.