British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Hi everyone, I have recently purchased this 1902 crown. I need help with the grade & value, because...

The coin unfortunately features a few edge knocks, so my question is: does this affect the grade - because grading, I have always been made to believe, is based on detail; and more importantly, how much does this affect the value?

Here is the front:

post-8432-0-86027600-1409337574_thumb.jp

Fine to good fine with problems. Spink quote Fine at £85, but I would be amazed if anyone would pay that much. £30-40? simply because most are better than this.

Has it been mounted previously?

And you have front and back reversed. By convention, the obverse (front) is the side with the monarch's head on it, or if without a portriat, the side displaying the titles of the person in whose name it was struck.

Edited by Rob

Suitable for a pocketpiece...LOL....Not a great specimen of what is IMO a nice design.

Hi everyone, I have recently purchased this 1902 crown. I need help with the grade & value, because...

The coin unfortunately features a few edge knocks, so my question is: does this affect the grade - because grading, I have always been made to believe, is based on detail; and more importantly, how much does this affect the value?

Here is the front:

Obverse GF Reverse NVF in my opinion.

The edge knocks don't affect the grade per se, but it is part of the condition, and would affect the value noticeably; in the case of your coin it wouldn't command more than Fine prices probably.

Worth bullion.Not a collectors piece.

If you have a coin in uncirculated cond, but it has edge knocks, it will still be graded as uncirculated, however because it has damaged edges this will bring down the price, the bigger the dents the less 'eye appeal' they have , most crowns that I have seen that are circulated have edge knocks on them, simply due to the fact that they are heavy, made of soft material, and were dropped by the general public on the pavement.

22 Quid was a good buy for that, and if you got a date run then that is a perfect grade.

Fine to good fine with problems. Spink quote Fine at £85, but I would be amazed if anyone would pay that much. £30-40? simply because most are better than this.

And you have front and back reversed. By convention, the obverse (front) is the side with the monarch's head on it, or if without a portriat, the side displaying the titles of the person in whose name it was struck.

<cough>

I did once...

But it was long time ago...

And i almost forgot about it... :ph34r:

Edited by goomolique

<cough>

I did once...

But it was long time ago...

And i almost forgot about it... :ph34r:

I was referring to the grade/price combined with the problems. As we all know not all fines, VFs EFs or UNCs are equal.

Cartwheel,

At times the comments can seem a bit harsh on here, but they really do attempt to be factual. You don't seem to have overpaid. You might want to upgrade in the future.

Mark

yuck , yuck , yuck.

worth £25

yuck , yuck , yuck.

worth £25

So still quids in on his £22 punt.

I guess I am really not in agreement with an otherwise uncirculated coin have edge knocks of mention and still being called uncirculated; only if EXTREMELY subtle or would call it "AU" as dropping a coin on the floor repeatedly would be one form of circulation I should imagine.

At less than an ounce of silver, I would call this one a "push[away]"....

Hi everyone

After a couple of years hiatus on buying coins (due to a couple reasons I won't go into) I have just received my first Edward 7th crown !

I just checked my Spink and it mentioned an edge error exists.   A quick look on the net and I did not find exactly what the error is supposed to be ?

Can anyone point me in the direction ?

I will post a piccy of my new coin.  Certainly not UNC and toned, but I quite like it (they are the dealer image).

The edge on my coin looks good.  I'd really hate for it to have an error    :)     

cheers Garrett.

E7 crown obverse.jpg

E7 crown reverse.jpg

E7 crown 3rd image.jpg

The only error that I'm aware of is an edge error, very rare.

£22 is a good price - you really would struggle to get a £50 note for it - crown collectors in particular want high grade atractive examples so your piece will always be the bridesmaid never the bride.

Those nasty edge knocks have really done the coin in it is nothing but a beginers coin now- sorry

Copper I don't think you are referring to Garrets coin. If he picked up his crown for £22 I'm holidaying in Brisbane....

ha ha Peter I think Copper was referring to the coin which started this thread.

Maybe I did a confusing thing by piggy backing onto the thread.

I was more interested in finding out about the edge error and what it is rather than discussing prices. 

A bit more of a look on the internet reveals the following.

The standard edge inscription seems to be DECUS ET TUTAMEN ANNO REGNI II

Which loosely translates (using Google) BEAUTY AND PROTECTION OF THE YEAR 2.   I believe "beauty and protect" refers to stopping clipping.  Year 2 would be referring to

Eddie's reign.

A reference to an error coin I found says the edge reads ANNO REGNI / ET TUTAMEN / II DECUS

Which means it's just a bit arse about.

Cheers and have a good weekend !

Yes, they are always a case of having assembled the collar in the wrong order. It has happened ever since they were invented a few hundred years ago. Not to be confused with other supposed errors which usually means a blockage rather than a genuine mistake.

• Like 1

You would think a grasp of Latin goes with the job....or ought to.