British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

coinkat

1745 LIMA Shilling with missing crossbar in A of LIMA

Greetings from across the Pond:

What an interesting forum- thanks to those responsible for making it possible. This will be the first topic I start so in an effort to keep it topical, I will simply ask: How rare is this variety - the grade would likely make a low British EF? I know it is in the older Coincraft catalogs from the1999-2000 time frame, but it does not appear in Spink. Could that be it is just not seen as a compelling variety with little interest? Any thoughts?

No idea, but I have never looked for it as a variety. It really depends on whether it is an inverted V or a filled die as obviously the latter is a normal event as opposed to an error. A lot of these spurious 'errors' are unwarranted IMO as they tend to exist in varying developmental stages, so are clearly not by design.

The pricing in Coincraft suggests not rare as it is priced cheaper than the 1746 LIMA shilling and only marginally more than the barred 1745.

Unfortunately, I still have not found anything to suggest it is an inverted V.