British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Can someone explain why Pobjoy Mint issues are collectable to some? Are they the modern equivalent of Ashmore repros?

e.g.

link

Edited by Paulus

Probably the only feasible way to acquire rare date pennies for those who just have to 'complete' the series.

Thanks Rob, that would not be for me, at least not at the price they go for! Why don't they do a 1933! (Not that I'd be interested in that either, not into pennies, thank goodness, given all the micro varieties and high prices!)

Edited by Paulus

There is no right or wrong about what you collect. Each to their own - thank goodness.

A bit off topic, if related....I sure liked their "Viking On Horseback" Isle of Man gold sovs of the '70s and early '80s....

I don't think the coin listed on ebay would fool anyone that it is a reproduction. However there are coins listed on ebay that are reproductions and not marked as such which could be used to defraud people as they are cast from molds made from real coins and you cannot tell if they are the real thing or not from a picture on the ebay listing. It has to be said the seller points out they are reproductions but if they are brought by a third party and relisted as genuine no one will be the wiser until they receive the coins and realize they are not silver and are fakes.

Thanks Rob, that would not be for me, at least not at the price they go for! Why don't they do a 1933! (Not that I'd be interested in that either, not into pennies, thank goodness, given all the micro varieties and high prices!)

They do a 1933 along with the 1952 Half Crown, Now the Half Crown apart from being a proof is very very good. Bye the way this is the first time I've heard of them being atributed to Pobjoy, not sure about that.

Some pobjoy stuff is ok , it's just the run of the mill stuff (esp comemeratives) is dreadful

I must admit their bullion can be attractive, but I still wouldn't purchase it for myself unless cheap.

I think a lot of people don't understand what's collectible about any coin-like metal disc, issued by governments or otherwise. I mean, what's collectible about comic books, or furniture, or plates, or jewelry, or ....___fill in the blank___? I may not understand why people collect certain things, just as they may not understand my collecting. It takes all kinds to make the world go round... ;)

A bit off topic, if related....I sure liked their "Viking On Horseback" Isle of Man gold sovs of the '70s and early '80s....

Same here, I have a few of them.