British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Dirt Monkey 1

Generosity

I know I have only been on here a few weeks but I would just like to say thank you to everyone on here, it is not like the usually forums (full of Trolls), it is full of people who have a love of a shared interest and the generosity of heart to want to share their experience with others. One member on here PWA 1967 was kind enough to send me a large quantity of coin flips which has really helped me get my collection off the ground (nearly done with the 1960's :D). But he also sent an album and numerous coin sheets, this came as a complete shock to me but I have been able now to pass it on to my seven year old daughter who has caught the coin collecting bug with me (she collects 'little coins' what ever that means other than stealing what she can of mine).

Don't usually go in for this kind of emotional outpouring but big thanks to everyone on here!!

Thanks again Peter

Jason and Erin

• Like 2

I'm a troll :)

No really, I am - ask Dave :D

Welcome Jason and Erin, I can confirm your initial impressions, this really is a great forum full of genuine people willing to give free and very expert advice. Enjoy the hobby!

• Like 1

I'm a troll :)

No really, I am - ask Dave :D

He is a troll, he's also an old goat, other things have been mentioned but we're in family Mode :) I'm Dave and welcome to a fun and friendly forum but please don't ask about coin slabs or grading, thats when it starts to Heat up in here :D Edited by azda

can i please ask about cgs coin slabs?

Please do, one of my favourite topics! Peter is it? There is a sub-forum (TPG (Third Party Graders) discussions under British Coin Related Discussions ...) - some members are interested, and some not so! Or PM me :)

Argument summarised in a nutshell:

1. American TPGs are better at American coins (PGCS, NGC, etc) - the British slabber CGS is better for UK coins

2. Americans are mad for slabs and many won't buy a coin unless it's slabbed, not having bothered to learn the art of coin grading for themselves

3. Therefore slabbing is taking off in a big way as Americans are the biggest coin market by far

4. British collectors are more reluctant to see their coins 'entombed' though CGS are trying to change that

5. If you've already got a collection in cabinets and trays, there's no easy way to fit slabs into that system

6. Not all slabbed coins are actually authentic despite the guarantee (Chinese fakes fool even the experts)

7. Many slabbed coins command a massive premium on eBay, even among British buyers

There's about 30 Pages plus dedicated to slabs amd grading. 99% of people are of the opinion that they'd rather feel a coin than a plastic slab. Paul i believe slabs his coins before selling as he believes that he'll achieve a higher price when listed on ebay (correct me of i'm wrong Paul). I'm not sure if Paul actually has any coins in his own collection that has been slabbed by CGS, again you can correct me Paul.

Personally, its each to their own how they want to keep their coins, it's just not for me or a majority here, it's mostly Americans that go in for that and expect afterwards that the same coin should quadruple in value because of what the slab says, but as we've seen mamy many times American TPGs cannot grade British coins correctly, nor identify them or fakes properly. Just saying

Edited by azda

Agreed. For example- US Auction House and grading. IMHO a complete anomaly. Look at these 2 coins. Considered chalk and cheese by the auctioneer. One MS62 4-5KUSD, the other MS65 15-20KUSD.

Don't agree. I'd say they are closely matched.

http://coins.ha.com/itm/great-britain/great-britain-george-ii-crown-1736-ms62-pcgs-/a/3035-30795.s

http://coins.ha.com/itm/great-britain/great-britain-george-ii-crown-1741-ms65-ngc-/a/3035-30797.s

My theory. Strike is not taken into account by the slabbing companies. Big shortfall in the system.

Edited by Nicholas
  • Like 1

Agreed. For example- US Auction House and grading. IMHO a complete anomaly. Look at these 2 coins. Considered chalk and cheese by the auctioneer. One MS62 4-5KUSD, the other MS65 15-20KUSD.

Don't agree. I'd say they are closely matched.

http://coins.ha.com/itm/great-britain/great-britain-george-ii-crown-1736-ms62-pcgs-/a/3035-30795.s

http://coins.ha.com/itm/great-britain/great-britain-george-ii-crown-1741-ms65-ngc-/a/3035-30797.s

My theory. Strike is not taken into account by the slabbing companies. Big shortfall in the system.

I concur with the first sentence but not the second. True you see lots of comparable pieces that are graded miles apart, but this is a benefit of the system as it means you can pick up coins which have been undergraded very cheaply indeed, being as they are by extension, undesirable, having the wrong label or number. This is a bonus, not a shortfall and should be milked for all it is worth.

There's about 30 Pages plus dedicated to slabs amd grading. 99% of people are of the opinion that they'd rather feel a coin than a plastic slab. Paul i believe slabs his coins before selling as he believes that he'll achieve a higher price when listed on ebay (correct me of i'm wrong Paul). I'm not sure if Paul actually has any coins in his own collection that has been slabbed by CGS, again you can correct me Paul.

Personally, its each to their own how they want to keep their coins, it's just not for me or a majority here, it's mostly Americans that go in for that and expect afterwards that the same coin should quadruple in value because of what the slab says, but as we've seen mamy many times American TPGs cannot grade British coins correctly, nor identify them or fakes properly. Just saying

You are largely correct Dave, I have had some of my coins slabbed by CGS for selling if I believe they will be more attractive to prospective buyers, not just on eBay but private sales also. This has worked extremely well overall, and works best on EF or better later milled English silver and GVF or better early milled.

You need to be fairly sure of the grade, and that the coin won't be rejected, before sending for slabbing of course - out of about 70 coins I have sent to CGS, around 10% have been rejected, and there have been roughly the same number of pleasant surprises as disappointments when it comes to grading. The average cost of having these coins graded, including postage, has been £16 per coin, and the average turnaround time has been 3.9 weeks.

The results can vary of course, especially at auction, but can be quite dramatic. Two very recent examples include a standard issue 1893 florin I bought for £90 from a well known dealer and sold privately for £300, and a 1905 sixpence I bought on eBay for £13 and sold on eBay for £170. I am not looking to become a dealer or treat my hobby as an investment or a profit-making activity, but results such as these help to iron out those 'mistakes', and of course postage and auction commission costs.

I have around 20 slabbed coins in my collection that are currently 'keepers' (if that's not an oxymoron!)

If anyone is interested in more detail on my CGS 'journey' please PM me :) Or, if of more general interest, happy to reveal more detail in the TPG thread ...

Edited by Paulus

70 x £16 adds up to a very nice coin, £1120 worth ;)

I agree with the majority on that one, why slab a coin? there are exceptions with extremely rare coins as they will go on a coin database and are documented, so the coin community knows how many are around etc. Most people use albums or cabinets to store their coins, how do you fit these in with your collection?

Everyone collects for different reasons .Personally my collection is to be put away for twenty years .I have slabbed over 70 c.g.s. coins and for each one i have put away happy with.Fantastic ,good price and honest service if you have spent over 30k why not slab and no your putting away quality.The storage is self explanatory i have a safe and insured by c.g.s. value.

? No way but each to their own.

I have a safe and I don't need some mug to tell me what I have.

The graders probably have less experience in my field of buying.

Yes you could be right .However they have a lot more experience than me.To call c.g.s. graders mugs is one of the daftest things i have ever heard.You are obviously making comments on people you do not no.

I will put my 40 years of collecting against any of the TPG grading companies.If you don't know your subject I think you are in the wrong game.

Some muppet will charge me £30 for I know what I have is gauling.

Look at some of the grading from the dealers on this site.Enough said.

TPG's are a waste of air.FFS i didn't need to get my wife graded before I married her....although she was Aunc but a BU is probably a bit Ugggg

Good point ,however we have not and will never have your knowledge.We all need someone occasionally to advise us and help out.If that comes at a small price happy to pay.I notice your interest peter cars and fishing.I had a fishing shop for nine years and have had some fantastic cars,but still prepared to get advice before buying a car for a lot of money and spent years helping people to get involved in fishing.The main thing is you have gathered and have the knowledge ,some people are prepared to pay an amount to learn..This can be cost effective weather they are golf ,fishing or coin collecting lessons some of us happy to pay.You use the word muppet and you may no your subject well ,but always remember you dont no everything and sometimes worth a second opinion

If you don't know your subject....don't buy it.

Books and internet is there as well as as this forum.

Common sense should prevail.My pockets are not deep enough to buy crap.

"no" for "know" - you're not an eBay seller by any chance PWA? (I jest, I jest :lol: )

Maybe i should of paid for english lessons aswell peck.Never passed an exam and the only test i passed was driving.But made a good few quid being nice with people and retired at forty .Not sure if i have spelt that right ,but encouraged my kids to have a good education so they are not thick and daft like me.

Maybe i should of paid for english lessons aswell peck.Never passed an exam and the only test i passed was driving.But made a good few quid being nice with people and retired at forty .Not sure if i have spelt that right ,but encouraged my kids to have a good education so they are not thick and daft like me.

Well said, Sir! :)

Peck is the grammar Nazi of the predecimal forum :)

Peck is the grammar Nazi of the predecimal forum :)

Rilly? I thort it was speling not gramar. Or was it bothe. Memmory faddes with age...