British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

TomGoodheart

Charles I Tower shillings

I'm after some cash so thought I'd see if anyone is interested in some coins.

Probably nothing to excite most people, but there are some trickier-to-find types although all are in well circulated condition!

If anyone is interested, pm me. Payment ideally by bank transfer.

#1 Spink 2789 Sharp D1/1 (as Brooker 468,469) Difficult to find this first bust in any condition. Ex Spink Sale 1010 24 Jun 10, part Lot 142 (only the reverse of the coin illustrated)

£90

post-129-0-46032400-1408616370_thumb.jpg

#2 Spink 2795 Sharp F2/1 'Aberystwyth' bust series. (Oddly, no example in Brooker) Comes with both small and large mark of value, this one is small. Ex Clarendon Collection (Bonhams Oct 06 Lot#1329)

£120

post-129-0-43643300-1408616652_thumb.jpg

Edited by TomGoodheart

Finally (for now!) #3 Spink 2791 Sharp E1/2 (again, oddly not in Brooker, this is the first bust of the type with the second reverse and again, none to easy to find) Ex Noble Sale 77 Nov 04 Lot 788

£120

post-129-0-81738900-1408617213_thumb.jpg

post-129-0-01609700-1408617177_thumb.jpg

I've added the Noble listing as the old scans are not brilliant. If anyone wants (hopefully better) photos I'll give it a go, just ask.

Prices given include insured postage to a UK address. Overseas .. I'll check.

Thanks!

Edited by TomGoodheart

Better photo of #1 (Spink 2789 Sharp D1/1):

post-129-0-19231500-1409584935_thumb.jpg

S.2789 Sharp D4/1 Privy mark Harp (21 Jun 1632-11 Jul 1633) was originally thought to be rare with this bust but is probably just scarce.

D4_1Tray3_zps06c987ae.jpg

£70 BIN or make me an offer!

Another photo of #3, S.2791 Sharp E1/2 Ex Noble Sale 77 Nov 04 Lot 788

Again, I will consider offers. Nothing ventured, nothing gained as they say ...

E1_2tray2-Copy_zpsae084eca.jpg

And in case anyone was interested, I've decided to keep #1 for now so that's no longer available.

Thanks!

Ah. given the options of £70, the BIN or make an offer, I was going to suggest you sling it. :ph34r::P

Ah. given the options of £70, the BIN or make an offer, I was going to suggest you sling it. :ph34r::P

LOL Don't tempt me!

However that would not help me amass my first £million.

Which I am sure I shall need if I am to buy that entire collection of prime quality Tower shillings coming up for sale any day now.

:D

I personally Would have Kept number 1 myself also unless you had something better

Edited by azda

I personally Would have Kept number 1 myself also unless you had something better

I have better. But that one has the second reverse with the Aberystwyth plumes, so I'd like an upgrade of the first in due course...

:P

I have better. But that one has the second reverse with the Aberystwyth plumes, so I'd like an upgrade of the first in due course...

:P

Phhhtttt! So fussy...not like the new found Azda at all!

Phhhtttt! So fussy...not like the new found Azda at all!

LOL It's been interesting to see Dave's journey from relative novice collector to connoisseur!

But then I guess we're all somewhat on that path. We start to get more discerning as we learn. Perfectly good coins that showed a type or scarcer variation I now look at and think .."now, if I had back what I spent on that I could put it towards something I really want"!

Hence the attempted sales here.

And I'm still open to offers ... :P

The forum's great, a fine place to sit our coins for comments and learning! I can't think of anyone else in my village who I could meet with and have an intelligent chat about coins, thereby upping my coin game? :roll-eyes

There's Declan, of course! It's about time (around 6 months) that we started a coin club in the area? Once a month in a local pub, Declan?

I think my collecting Comes with learning here and seeing the Trends drifiting away from any plain old shite will do to anything high grade will be looked over. I pretty much moved away from milled towards the hammered and i don't know how or why this happened, not to say i won't buy a milled coin but there seems to be just so much crap out there that finding a great hammered coin is much more pleasing for me These days.

I've bought some fantastic hammereds this year (IMO) and also bought milled and proof sets, but even now i'm thinking of getting rid of the proof sets as they don't seem to fit what i want anymore, obviously i've had too much Money to Play with this year, but it's the case, they're not giving me the enjoyment that hammered is giving me, although i do like my recent florin purchases and this might be a small side collection.

So if anyone is wanting to purchase a couple of proof sets, you know where to find me 1911-1927-1937-1950x2 and 1953.

I will also add that i appreciate the help from certain members here on their opinions of certain hammered coinage, its very helpful when deciding to buy or not, i'll still be learning in 20 years time :)

Edited by azda

The forum's great, a fine place to sit our coins for comments and learning! I can't think of anyone else in my village who I could meet with and have an intelligent chat about coins, thereby upping my coin game? :roll-eyes

There's Declan, of course! It's about time (around 6 months) that we started a coin club in the area? Once a month in a local pub, Declan?

Excellent idea Stuart!

Excellent idea Stuart!
Keep it on embers, Declan! 'Keep it secret, keep it safe'!

And re an old proposal I didn't get to deal with at the time, on account of brain-scramble, I also thought that was a great idea! Sorry I didn't have the courtesy to deal with it before it was lost beneath a million other issues of living!

Having met you I somehow knew you might forgive me, and knew you'd definitely understand! ;)

Well, I still need that first £million, so if anyone is interested ...

untitled_zps21d394d1.png

Spink 2793 Sharp E2_3 ex FS Dobbin Noble 101 Nov 2012 Lot #2051 (Part), previously Noble 80 Nov 2005 Lot #1622 £120

G1_2_zpsdb0iybmh.jpg

Spink 2799 Sharp G1_2 ex London Coins 148 Mar 2015 (part) Lot #1590 £160

Edited by TomGoodheart

G1_2_zpsn5f8vqha.jpg

Spink 2799 Sharp G1_2 £280

Spink%202787%20Sharp%20C2_2%20ex%20Brook

Spink 2787 Sharp C2_2 ex Brooker 462 (this coin), Michael Sharp (and illustrated in his article in the BNJ XLVII 1977 p120 Plate VI #21) Extremely rare. I know of only two other examples. £400

Spink%202800%20Sharp%20G1_2%20Eye_zpsyjn

Spink 2800 Sharp G1/2 This first bust is very scarce with the Eye mint mark. £45

Spink%202791%20Sharp%20E2_1%20York%20Coi

Spink 2791 Sharp E2/1 Scarcer with this earlier reverse. Bought York Coins 2004 £160

for%20sale%202_zpsakz0eijq.jpg

I hope you're not selling your collection Richard? Or are these simply 'surplus to requirements'?

Edited by Paulus

By any chance you wouldnt happen to have a mm Negros head shilling of Charles I for sale ? i've wanted one for about 4 years now

I hope you're not selling your collection Richard? Or are these simply 'surplus to requirements'?

No I'm still collecting, or would be if only some nice coins would turn up! These aren't exactly surplus, in that they fill gaps in the Sharp number sequence. But I don't get the pleasure from them that I once did.

It's the old story I'm afraid. The coins I'm prepared to sell aren't my nicest and the ones that would sell easily I don't want to part with!

I really need a new type collector who wants to fill some of the gaps in their collection to come along, .. but I'm not sure if people collect Tower shillings that way any more!

By any chance you wouldnt happen to have a mm Negros head shilling of Charles I for sale ? i've wanted one for about 4 years now

I'm afraid not Alan. I was lucky with mine as I managed to pick it up in a Stacks Bowers sale a couple of years ago. A poor photograph and it being unslabbed helped me I'm sure! I'll keep a look out for you though ..

Edited by TomGoodheart

Hi Richard that would be fantastic if you could. I actually found one about a month ago but it was barely fine grade and heavily clipped.

On a curious Note, why is it so called negros head instead of blackmoors head?

Edited by azda