British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Strange that the border is beaded when they adopted toothed borders during the 1860 minting, any reason for this?

Strange that the border is beaded when they adopted toothed borders during the 1860 minting, any reason for this?

You got me searching for the loupe there Dave…. no, it's just the photo. Toothed like the others.

VoIP you are correct AC

It's toothed on my screen.

It's a BEAUTY on my screen. :)

Thank you! I must admit the cupro-nickel colour adds a nice contrast to the rows of lustered bronze in the tray.

Thank you! I must admit the cupro-nickel colour adds a nice contrast to the rows of lustered bronze in the tray.

You obviously don't suffer from OCD :D

You obviously don't suffer from OCD :D

Embracing an off-metal strike is helping me get over it! :D

• Like 1

On 9/5/2014 at 12:44 PM, Paulus said:

Bizarre indeed ... here are the 2 lots side by side for ease of comparison (inverted lot 2666 on the left, conventional lot 2667 on the right):

Sep2014Lots2666-7_zpsf25d2697.png

I stumbled across this really interesting thread quite by chance whilst looking for something else.

Clearly the inverted axis 1860/59 raised suspicion as to it's authenticity. However, it might also be worth pointing out that all obverses from the 1859 and 1860 pennies have that slight extension to the right of the base serif of the T of GRATIA. Looking at the coin, that feature also appears on the inverted axis specimen. That might suggest the coin is genuine. Although why the axis should be inverted is anyone's guess.

Funnily enough I do have a 2000 dated penny with an inverted axis. So it happens.