British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
DaveG38

Spink Numismatic Circular Dec 1986

Although I have a quite a few 'nice' early milled coins, I don't really have many which have come out of well known collections. The one exception is my 1689 halfpenny which is the Nicholson specimen. I'm quite interested in tracing its history, but all I have found so far is that it was sold to Nicholson from the Spink Numismatic Circular from December 1986 and is number 8485.

Does anybody have a copy of the circular and can they let me know what it says about my coin - alternatively a scan of the relevant page would be equally helpful?

Thanks in advance.

Dave G38

The listing reads "8485 William and Mary. Tin Halfpenny 1689 BMC561. Rarely seen in any condition considerably eroded, otherwise fair/F £300"

I think they missed a full stop between 'condition' and 'considerably'?

The coin is pictured too.

Sounds like a nice coin.

If you could share a pic I would love to see it !

cheers

Garrett.

The listing reads "8485 William and Mary. Tin Halfpenny 1689 BMC561. Rarely seen in any condition considerably eroded, otherwise fair/F £300"

I think they missed a full stop between 'condition' and 'considerably'?

The coin is pictured too.

Many thanks for this. Pity it doesn't say anything else about its history - I'll have to consider where else to look for it. Interesting that it has suffered from grade inflation in the meantime, as Colin Cooke rated it as 'strictly fine but probably good very fine for issue.' Personally, I'd say that Spinks were nearer the grade.

Sign in to follow this