British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
colin26

Copper nickle 1p and 2p on ebay 7th august 2014

Personally they do nothing for me and they seem extremely light in weight. Probably a wrong planchet but 2 wrong planchets is just yet another mystery. The Daily Mail link also seems excessive with the "freak coin" blurb. The £1000 thats been quoted is to my mind a ridiculous price for.

Sorry to put a downer on your auction, its merely my opinion as a collector of coins/history and not errors that the mint seem to produce more and more frequently

Edited by azda

I think taking the nick out of the edge was a mistake. The XMF machine proves they are genuine to me, as I think they read the metal past the first fraction of a mm, under the surface, which generally rules out any form of plating.

I collect error coins (albeit pre-decimal) but I've never seen incorrect flan errors go for £1000!

That article was only a few weeks back, would be interested to see what the realised price was in the end.

Perhaps a trial towards eventual electro-plating? The only concerning thing is the traces of copper/bronze (orange) on the two pence..

Edited by Nordle11

Reallly?

That's what press does for you...

Would have sold for about £30 without the hype. Good luck to the buyer when he wants to sell it.

And the article states it's the only silver 2p in the world, even though it's not the only one and it's not silver.

Wasn't there a pre-1920 penny (or thereabouts) on an off-metal planchet that sold not too long ago for some incredible price simply due to the media hype?

Media hype really can affect a coins value. I can remember that before the Kew gardens 50p coins appeared in the press, on eBay they were selling for about £7 in EF. Now you can get anywhere from £30 in EF to £70 in UNC! If I was a reporter, I would have bought a few quids worth before I wrote the story!

Wasn't there a pre-1920 penny (or thereabouts) on an off-metal planchet that sold not too long ago for some incredible price simply due to the media hype?

I think you'll find that was a 1919KN - but yes, it went for a ridiculous price just because it was off-metal, and had been reported in some wretched tabloid.