British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Dirt Monkey 1

Hello and first question.

Hi all,

Am a new collector, so new I don't even own a single coin yet, I collected as a child (long ago now) but managed to loose my collection when I left home (over zealous parents).

I have bought some books from the website including the grading book and intend to start as soon as possible. So my question is if you guys were starting from fresh again, where would you begin?

Regards

Jason

Read around the subject a lot, then buy a little bit of everything until you know what appeals. Some things you will like more than others, but that only comes with experience.

Jason, I'll upgrade your PDF versions of the eBooks to the epub versions free of charge.

• Like 1

You have the perfect start into coin collecting in my view .

Try and find a local dealer who goes to antique or collectors fairs , or otherwise rummage round in a few 50p or pound boxes and see what you really like - don't spend a lot remember you are testing the water.

Once you have found what you really like just keep on upgradeing start with the common stuff - get rid of yoiur spares on ebay - remember money spent on coins is rarely totally wasted you get some back when you cash them in (sell them).

Get one of the superb aluminium coin boxes fro lidl they are great for less than a tenner - they often appear just before xmas

Thanks for the advice guys, I will defiantly look out for the lidl box.

Chris wow thanks, how do I get them?

Don't do it too aggressively or you might upset someone. :ph34r:

All I can say is you've struck your first little piece of gold in finding this forum! Read around it and you'll see what a top class bunch of chaps et al. are on here! Stuff you will never find in books, nor discover from 'experts' in the field out there, typically TPGCo's, will be intelligently represented on here!

I've always thought George V to be numismatically diverse and interesting, and a good place to cut your teeth!

Welcome aboard! You'll make lots of mistakes, just don't make them expensive ones! :)

• Like 1

Welcome Jason !

All I can say is you've struck your first little piece of gold in finding this forum! Read around it and you'll see what a top class bunch of chaps et al. are on here! Stuff you will never find in books, nor discover from 'experts' in the field out there, typically TPGCo's, will be intelligently represented on here!

I've always thought George V to be numismatically diverse and interesting, and a good place to cut your teeth!

Welcome aboard! You'll make lots of mistakes, just don't make them expensive ones! :)

...plus me :lol:

Thanks for all the help so far, I read back through a load of post on here and found someone suggesting getting all denominations from 1967 then working backwards, don't know how long I can keep that up for, but am going to give that a try to start with until I really find a favourite.

So after trawling the internet and visiting the two coin shops we have here in Newcastle (one great and helpful, the other not so much) I have bought my first 15 coins for the princely sum of £15 and am eagerly awaiting their arrival.

Now I need to know how to store them. While I like Copper123's suggestion about the Lidl coin boxes, I don't think I can wait until Christmas. Any suggestions? Also I am not very good at visualising so links or pics would be great. I used to just have a folder with plastic pouches in, but if I am trying to find the best quality coins I can will this type of thing still do?

Cheers in advance.

Jason

My advice would be for a new collector.

1. Read some Coin books and catalogues and get to know some coin values and how to grade coins

2. Visit all your friends who have a small box full of coins and look up their values (then offer a few quid for the whole box)

3. Visit your local dealer and see what's for sale.

The quicker you have a good dealer you can trust the better. ( most are wheeler dealers)

Browse eBay only, don't buy- it's full of phoney offers.

4. Go to coin fairs

5. Visit a few coin web sites. CNG, baldwins ...

Edited by Nicholas

The aluminium coin boxes are on ebay for around £20 as long as you don't mind paying a little over the odds .

If you live in Newcastle i would imagine coin fairs are out of the question.

Don't forget the local flea markets of antique fairs a dealer there might be very useful.

Remember to COLLECT WHAT YOU WANT and never let anyone try and tell you what that is , you might prefer french or Spanish coins to English , they have some lovely designs esp the french.

Thanks copper, don't worry about that I will only ever do what I want to do (until the wife tells me otherwise). I think this approach might be best for me as,being born in 71, I was always fastinated by the shilling and six pence which were still in use but didn't didn't have their original values. So its kind of like taking it backwards from their.

Welcome Jason from jim in sunderland, a great forum with a great set of lads with terrific knowledge. I myself started collecting coins about 2 years ago, my main obsession is victorian coinage which i'm very proud of, collecting coins can become a major addiction like i have so the wife say's.Decide what interest's you the most and stick with it. :)

Welcome Jason. I agree with pretty much everyone else here that, while reading about grades and so on is very useful, it needs you to buy some coins before you start to get a feel for what it all means. Post pics here as others do and we'll give you our honest opinion about grade etc.

As for storage, Chris sells both small plastic envelopes to put coins in and flips (which are hinged card 'sandwiches' with clear window that allow you to see the coin) here on predecimal. You can opt for an even cheaper option with envelopes. The guys at Colin Cooke sell acid-free paper ones. I use them for coins I pick up out of change and ones that aren't the main part of my collection. All of these are 2"x2" is so will fit in a small box or drawer conveniently. Handy if you tend to 'accumulate' coins like most of us!

http://www.colincooke.com/envelopes.html

Just be warned that the folders of your youth may not have been made from the inert materials that are used now. PVC in particular is bad for coins. That said, millions of Americans seem to collect coins in card sheets where you put the coin in a hole in the card to display it or in flips which are then put into little pockets in albums.

So long as your coins aren't exposed to nasty chemicals, too much damp or salt air and don't knock against each other or slide about much causing damage there's no right or wrong, just what you prefer. I use cheap (paper envelopes), mid-range (a box with trays that sounds like the Lidl one into which I put the coins in plastic flips) and a mahogany coin cabinet.

Edited by TomGoodheart

That's great, thanks for the advice Tom, do you know if flips fit into albums of will they just go into a box? I assume the flips come in different coin sizes. Sorry for all the questions but I don't know anyone else that has a coin collection so I have no reference point.

Hi jason you could visit corbitts in mosley street and have a look around, maybe even try t.miller auctions in byker, I've bought a few lots from there.

That's great, thanks for the advice Tom, do you know if flips fit into albums of will they just go into a box? I assume the flips come in different coin sizes. Sorry for all the questions but I don't know anyone else that has a coin collection so I have no reference point.

The flips are standard, and fit into boxes OR wallets. The holes in the flips handle very small, right up to crown! :)

The flips are standard, and fit into boxes OR wallets. The holes in the flips handle very small, right up to crown! :)

I have the little packet things that you can get of Chris here, and a few really old tins that my great grandparents had when they were kids to put the packets in.

That and two trays that I got given by someone who gave up the hobby couldn't get rid of them.

Eagle coin holders are my choice. Can snap them open and closed. They use Mylar sheets that hold the coin in place for long term storage.

Won't fit larger crowns bigger than 38mm (wreath crown diameter) is the only limitation.

http://www.australian-threepence.com/blog/2008/10/eagle-coin-holders.html

Edited by Nicholas

Eagle coin holders are my choice. Can snap them open and closed. They use Mylar sheets that hold the coin in place for long term storage.

Won't fit larger crowns bigger than 38mm (wreath crown diameter) is the only limitation.

http://www.australian-threepence.com/blog/2008/10/eagle-coin-holders.html

They look quite bulky, but seem quite secure. Not sure if I like them or not

They look very neat and collectible together in a tray. I always get a higher price estimate !!

Thanks copper, don't worry about that I will only ever do what I want to do (until the wife tells me otherwise). I think this approach might be best for me as,being born in 71, I was always fastinated by the shilling and six pence which were still in use but didn't didn't have their original values. So its kind of like taking it backwards from their.

Welcome to the forum and the hobby. I ended up collecting mainly sixpences because that was a meaningful coin for me as a child (6d got you into the ABC Minors on a Saturday). But it doesn't really matter what you end up collecting so long as you find it enjoyable and interesting.