British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

rooneydog

1611 James I Shilling Mullet over Bell

3 minutes ago, Rob said:

I've no idea how tags work

When someone tags you, you get a notification.

1 hour ago, Peckris 2 said:

When someone tags you, you get a notification.

Nothing in my inbox, nor a bell sign (never has done so). The latter works for a 'like' though, so big on irrelevance but a chocolate teapot when it comes to providing a useful function. :(

1 hour ago, Rob said:

Nothing in my inbox, nor a bell sign (never has done so). The latter works for a 'like' though, so big on irrelevance but a chocolate teapot when it comes to providing a useful function. :(

Probably something in your settings for the site - you can elect which actions trigger an email notification and which don't.

If you click on the down arrow beside your name in the top right of the screen, and then select "Account Settings" from the drop down. The page you get to has "Notification settings" as a link on the right side beneath the advert box. Click on that and you should see your current options.

I suspect you have "Do not send me notifications" set at the moment. Further down you can also select which actions trigger a notification in the website and which an email to your registered account.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rob said:

It wouldn't go to your PM inbox. As for Notifications, what Paddy said above may be the answer (something in your settings).

It might be 'someone mentions you in a post', but there's no mention of tagging anywhere. The alternative is when someone quotes you, but that seems a bit general. Not worth losing sleep over, whatever. The list of options seems rather broad and a bit excessive in quantity.

Well thank you very much for the info though, I am going to look at the article soon! There are restrictions on what I can do with so few posts, but "tagging" seemed like one way to possibly call attention to something (that newbies are allowed to do). 

Cheers!

9 hours ago, Rob said:

Henry Symonds, BNJ vol.9 p.207-233, The Mint-Marks and Denominations of the Coinage of James I, as Disclosed by the Trials of the Pyx, with Historical Comments on the Procedure and Notes on the Mint Accounts of the Period.

This article seems to have led me on a merry dance around the internet... for whatever reason, it is omitted from the archived articles on the BNJ website. The list of articles for Vol. 9 are messed up (page numbers), and when I downloaded a "complete" PDF of the journal it skips from page 206 to 229 (although the article is listed in the TOC). I also seem unable to find it though other search engines, websites, etc... Do you (or anyone) happen to know where I could find the article? Again, I appreciate your help :)

The digital BNJ is the only place I know where it is listed. I don't have a spare copy of the volume, and nearly 30 pages scanned isn't going to fit into 500Kb. I'll try looking at it tomorrow.

7 hours ago, Rob said:

It might be 'someone mentions you in a post', but there's no mention of tagging anywhere. The alternative is when someone quotes you, but that seems a bit general. Not worth losing sleep over, whatever. The list of options seems rather broad and a bit excessive in quantity.

"Mentioned" is the same as "tagged" in this context. The system could not recognise you simply by name - the tag highlights the userid and so can trigger the message.

Looks like the website with the digital BNJ has been revamped and the one article you want hasn't been uploaded. Shirley Fox's piece on the Edwards runs to p.206, not 286 as listed and the article you want immediately precedes the further notes on James I. i.e it's not there.

There's a copy available on ebay. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRITISH-NUMISMATIC-JOURNAL-VOLUME-9-1913-485-pages-COINS-ILLUSTRATED/361681578454?hash=item5435e6e9d6:g:4F0AAOSw9NdXqtLb

Edited by Rob

Thanks for looking into it Rob, I also emailed BNJ and they responded saying they are aware that a few articles are missing, and they are working to correct it and expect it to be done by early next year (so maybe soon?). I also saw the copy on eBay, and while an old hard copy would be great, my sense tells me to wait for the free version. Thanks again for all your help!

Can never have enough books and £25 isn't going to break the bank. They're also protected from internet down time. ;)

I know, but the shipping alone for me is £24 where the book is £17. I asked the seller if there is a different way to ship in which case I would get it. I always prefer reading paper anyways 

22 hours ago, Rob said:

That's exactly what a tag is!

If you still want it I can send you a scanned copy of the article.  It's too large to post here so please PM me with an e-mail address and I'll send it through.

Edited by kildonan

I caved and paid to have the hard copy shipped over, and while it won’t arrive for some time, I assume it’s on its way. Thank you for the offer though!

On 12/30/2020 at 1:49 PM, kildonan said:

If you still want it I can send you a scanned copy of the article.  It's too large to post here so please PM me with an e-mail address and I'll send it through.

On 7/31/2014 at 2:02 PM, Rob said:

I paid £130 for mine in 2005. Better grade than yours, but mullet over bell on the obverse only. From a different obverse die, so that makes at least 3 obverse dies with the overmark including Ashby's.

@Rob Do you happen to have any photos of this coin you mentioned? I saw the one in the Ashby collection, and just acquired another with the overmark on obverse only (while slightly double struck, it seems apparent to me). What do you think?

Upload.thumb.JPG.1ba30c7788c314a7a26dc7c63dacbdc3.JPG

21 minutes ago, myt said:

@Rob Do you happen to have any photos of this coin you mentioned? I saw the one in the Ashby collection, and just acquired another with the overmark on obverse only (while slightly double struck, it seems apparent to me). What do you think?

Upload.thumb.JPG.1ba30c7788c314a7a26dc7c63dacbdc3.JPG

Same obverse die as mine.

80 percent 089.jpg

On 12/30/2020 at 1:49 PM, kildonan said:

@kildonan Not sure why I missed your response, but thank you for the offer (3 months late haha) - I ended up buying the copy on eBay. It looks like BNJ uploaded the scan of the article I sent them from my copy, so now it is available to the world for free on their updated website (and I have a nice book)