British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

amnight

1927 One Penny with date far from the rim... normal?

Hi! I am new to these forums and recently a 1927 One Penny came into my possession. Something on it looked strange and I couldn't figure out what.. I guessed it was the size of the date. It looks to maybe have a small date(if that is possible) or the date could be further from the rim denticles. I don't know if this is normal and wanted some help with this. Here are pics and thanks!

post-8417-0-14780500-1406658851_thumb.jp

post-8417-0-52122200-1406658858_thumb.jp

post-8417-0-67496200-1406658863_thumb.jp

My first impression is, it looks normal? Don't forget that compared to pre-1927 reverses, it got a slight reduction in size - all over, except the rim and teeth which are a bit bigger.

Just looked at 5 spares of mine and they all look like yours.

Always better to compare one with another .I buy low grades sometimes just to compare freeman numbers etc.Thats just a standard date.

Looking for what exactly?

• Like 1

I have found it much easier to work out freeman numbers ,varieties etc .Having the different coins in hand and comparing them was a big learning curve..I now feel confident spending money on a coin and learned a lot more studying the coin rather than just looking at a book .Its not a case of looking for something i just got familiar with freeman numbers by having low grade examples.