British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Michael-Roo

James I shilling. Legend error.

Hello all.

Your thoughts on this coin would be most welcome.

A James I shilling, mm lis. The king's name looks to have been entered twice. Not simply double struck, but at two distinct positions at the beginning of the legend. I know it is not uncommon to find hammered coins which display 'blundered' legends, but this error is something entirely different? All other parts of both obverse and reverse legends are as they should be.

Any ideas concerning rarity value?

Cheers.

post-8388-0-94620300-1406392794_thumb.jp

post-8388-0-65232000-1406392807_thumb.jp

post-8388-0-62890900-1406392869_thumb.pn

It's most likely an alteration made to the die and I've seen a fair few of these 'errors' on coins of Elizabeth, James and Charles I especially.

In this case I think it is down to multiple blows as you can see a trace of both the chest and the crown in front of the bust

Thanks both.

Hi Rob. I have the coin in front of me now. I must confess, I don't see any evidence of double striking in the obverse field. Also: would multiple strikes result in Iacobus being entered twice yet leaving all other parts of the inscription as normal?

Thanks both.

Hi Rob. I have the coin in front of me now. I must confess, I don't see any evidence of double striking in the obverse field. Also: would multiple strikes result in Iacobus being entered twice yet leaving all other parts of the inscription as normal?

Short answer is, yes. You can get parts of the coin doubled and yet the rest mysteriously appears as it should. Not James, but a similar result for Charlie:

post-129-0-12256800-1406397200_thumb.jpg

Yes, I've also seen numerous coins with legends like your's, where everything appears intact, except a small doubled section!

Double-struck, with no added premium for that, unfortunately!

Much appreciated. Thank you.

Here's another you all may find interesting.

Charles I half groat. mm R in circle. The condition isn't great but, as you'll clearly see, the king's name is entered as 'arolvs'. There isn't an empty area where one would expect to find the letter C. Arolvs fills the available space.

post-8388-0-98556500-1406403705_thumb.jp

post-8388-0-78710000-1406403718_thumb.jp

Much appreciated. Thank you.

Here's another you all may find interesting.

Charles I half groat. mm R in circle. The condition isn't great but, as you'll clearly see, the king's name is entered as 'arolvs'. There isn't an empty area where one would expect to find the letter C. Arolvs fills the available space.

Which is again down to double striking. Look at the inner circle to get an idea of how badly struck it is. The die will have had a C, just that it isn't present on this coin.