British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

VickySilver

Metallurgy and The Conversion to "Base" Metal Shillings, 1920

I recently tested a pattern 1920 shilling, and the metal content came to:

Silver - 51.67%

Copper - 39.57%

Nickel - 7.36%

Manganese 0.28%

Arsenic (!) 0.015%

The George V standard was in 1920 evidently"

Silver - 50%

Copper - 45%

Manganese 5%

By 1924, this was at:

Silver - 50%

Copper - 50%

Any comments or interest???

Was that run against a standard?

Davies noted that any scrap from the war machine was fed into the mix initially, hence the highly irregular compositions. I might have expected a contribution from brass.

I do know they had great problems with the new alloy, especially from 1920-22. And that there was experimentation with nickel just after that. The 50% silver 50% copper comes as a slight surprise - I thought they had one or two other things in there in small quantities, e.g. tin?

I must admit to not having the equipment, and that it was also a surface spectroscopy (XRF), thankfully non-destructive. I have a couple others (denominations) that I will try the next time I get a chance. I seem to recall the BM having a couple of different specimens of differing metal alloys of same period.

I will also see if I can manage either the 1923 or 4 "nickel" pieces, the latter date evidently struck to 5.0 and 5.7 gm. standards but the alloy of which I have not seen published.

I can't help with the nickel analysis as I forgot to do mine when I did all the Weyl patterns.

The local University charges outrageous sums for any investigations, so have left them alone. Alas, my alma mater is too far away to use them as I have a few specimens I would like checked.

Find a microscopist with an interest in coins ;)

I have got my customers interested in something because it was old and after a short time they have offered to do it when they had a spare 5 mins.

Just curious, where's the best place to read about the history of these patterns?

Silver - 51.67%

Copper - 39.57%

Nickel - 7.36%

Manganese 0.28%

Arsenic (!) 0.015%

Silver - 50%

Copper - 45%

Manganese 5%

By 1924, this was at:

Silver - 50%

Copper - 50%

Arsenic in the coins we collect?

http://books.google.com/books?id=o-5AAQAAMAAJ&pg=PA290&lpg=PA290&dq=copper+coins+arsenic&source=bl&ots=Q3qbFU4TmX&sig=DcVJX6j3jArFiNiCobCuXdWTBso&hl=en&sa=X&ei=AIjcU_DGIoGVyASu7oGoAQ&ved=0CDcQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q=copper%20coins%20arsenic&f=false

Silver - 51.67%

Copper - 39.57%

Nickel - 7.36%

Manganese 0.28%

Arsenic (!) 0.015%

Silver - 50%

Copper - 45%

Manganese 5%

By 1924, this was at:

Silver - 50%

Copper - 50%

http://books.google.com/books?id=o-5AAQAAMAAJ&pg=PA290&lpg=PA290&dq=copper+coins+arsenic&source=bl&ots=Q3qbFU4TmX&sig=DcVJX6j3jArFiNiCobCuXdWTBso&hl=en&sa=X&ei=AIjcU_DGIoGVyASu7oGoAQ&ved=0CDcQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q=copper%20coins%20arsenic&f=false

Not a major problem as the elemental metal isn't poisonous - its the oxide which is deadly. Plus, of course, the concentrations are very low, so nothing to worry about.

I guess technically that at least this pattern is not base metal - %52 silver!!! I may drop off a couple of patterns for analysis come November if I can not sooner.

What was this pattern 1920 shilling?

Just curious, where's the best place to read about the history of these patterns?

For anyone wondering, Peter Davies in British Silver Coins covers a bit of the history, though not a lot.

Silver - 51.67%

Copper - 39.57%

Nickel - 7.36%

Manganese 0.28%

Arsenic (!) 0.015%

Silver - 50%

Copper - 45%

Manganese 5%

By 1924, this was at:

Silver - 50%

Copper - 50%

Not a major problem as the elemental metal isn't poisonous - its the oxide which is deadly. Plus, of course, the concentrations are very low, so nothing to worry about.

Arsenic has been used for centuries to impart a 'mint freshness' look to debased coins. If you compare say the modern Cu-Ni proofs and a silver proof of the same type, it is striking that the silver proof is 'whiter'. This is the look that the addition of arsenic tries to emulate.