British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
evansuk2000

New 'three pound twelve' coin, spots on side? Advice please

Hi all, recently posted about a collection of 3 coins I have bought, they arrived today, and the brass one has quite a large black spot on the outer rim that I'm worrying about, and also quite a deep grove...

I'm hoping it isn't vertigris? Could someone tell me if it's anything to be concerned about, or I should still be happy?! Also what are the black marks on the front?

Thanks!

Will add pics in a moment.

https://imageshack.com/i/ey576ef4j

Should work?

Please any feedback would be great.

The link took me straight there (heaps better than the awful 'bucket :angry: ).

It might be 'treated verdigris' which would look black, or else it's straightforward spotting (you often see black marks on brass threepences). As for the groove, you'll have to live with that I'm afraid. Still, the BoE dollar makes up for any shortfall in the other two ;)

It's kind of course when I touch it, I'm hoping it's just spotting then? Will this take much value from the piece? Would you still keep it? I'm not too bothered by the groove, just the black spot (I think it's black...I'm quite colourblind)

The dollar is lovely.

And with my worry mind...any chance if it is the dreaded vertigris...it would spread to other coins such as the dollar!

It's kind of course when I touch it, I'm hoping it's just spotting then? Will this take much value from the piece? Would you still keep it? I'm not too bothered by the groove, just the black spot (I think it's black...I'm quite colourblind)

The dollar is lovely.

And with my worry mind...any chance if it is the dreaded vertigris...it would spread to other coins such as the dollar!

Verdigris won't spread to silver - it's a copper/bronze disease. However, if you're worried, keep it separately from other coins, preferably in a capsule or flip. I couldn't comment on the value as it's not my area at all, but you should expect some depreciation.

The black looks to be treated verdigris, so I tweaked your picture a bit:

verd_zpsdf77f71f.jpg

I think there is a residue of verd as shown, so take precautions. Good news is that it's still a £40 weight. More on a good day with a following wind.

Thanks both, and it shouldn't spread to other coins...although it has now been placed in isolation! But I had handled the 1804 dollar after etc!

Thanks both, and it shouldn't spread to other coins...although it has now been placed in isolation! But I had handled the 1804 dollar after etc!

No problem - it won't spread to silver, as I said above.