British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

loose54

1862 Halfpenny Die Letter C

I have purchased from the dealer before and have received coins as promised all OK. It seems in this case he got it wrong but I will receive a full refund so the only real risk was on being out of pocket for a couple of weeks. Also, if the coin was a clear confirmed die letter then it would have certainly been a good bargain for the price I paid for it. I would never personally 'throw a coin in the bin' because I believe it will always have some, if only minute, value to someone, somewhere. B&C Collector, thanks for all of the different reverses, are they all your coins?

Yes

Horible but clear

1862Aa.jpg

• Like 2

On 7/27/2014 at 1:35 AM, Bronze & Copper Collector said:

I know of 3 letter positions for the Die Letter A (Reverse G): Two to the LEFT of the Lighthouse (one CLOSER to the RIM, the other CLOSER to the LIGHTHOUSE) and one to the RIGHT of the LIGHTHOUSE (UNLISTED in Freeman).

Only 1 letter position for the Die Letter B (Reverse E): To the LEFT of the Lighthouse...

And 2 letter positions for the Die Letter C (Reverse F): Both to the LEFT of the Lighthouse (one CLOSER to the RIM, the other CLOSER to the LIGHTHOUSE)

Hi this is a facinating subject. I too have one that set me off thinking ‘what if?’ I in real poor shape but does appear to have something going on to the left of the lighthouse. Thought it might have once posiby been a B but apreciate it’s probably tok high above the rocks. Any thoughts what it might please? 

B9BBC206-4AC0-49F9-BEDB-DA1C95497581.jpeg

6 hours ago, Asawin said:

Hi this is a facinating subject. I too have one that set me off thinking ‘what if?’ I in real poor shape but does appear to have something going on to the left of the lighthouse. Thought it might have once posiby been a B but apreciate it’s probably tok high above the rocks. Any thoughts what it might please? 

Being perfectly honest, I think it's just a blodge of some sort, near where a die letter would be. This happens a lot, and I've often pondered over worn coins wondering if this is a die number, or that is an overstrike etc.    

• Haha 1

more like a wild turkey than an ostrich

Rare Australian variant?, mm. Emu (en passant regardant)

9 hours ago, Asawin said:

Can't be a die letter B, I'm afraid... The lighthouse is the wrong type: all letter B's occur with the thinner, more cylindrical lighthouse and have the letters LCW above the 8 and 6 of the date. Not sure of the Freeman reverse die type/code offhand, but I'm sue some helpful person could post it.

• Like 1

On 11/26/2018 at 2:26 AM, Bronze & Copper Collector said:

See my posts on the previous page with close-ups, full reverse images, and additional die information.....

Hi Garry,

With regard to the ‘A’ variant, are all varieties unbarred?

thanks

Paul

10 hours ago, Diaconis said:

Hi Garry,

With regard to the ‘A’ variant, are all varieties unbarred?

thanks

Paul

I'm fairly sure that the A's are unbarred.

My A specimens are not high enough grade to show, but if I remember correctly, those better condition examples that I have seen were all unbarred.

• Thanks 1

I reckon the A is a commemorative issue in recognition of the naval landing on Rockall in the summer of 1862, i.e. it's a tent, with the lighthouse an artistic impression of planned development. :ph34r:

7 hours ago, Rob said:

I reckon the A is a commemorative issue in recognition of the naval landing on Rockall in the summer of 1862, i.e. it's a tent, with the lighthouse an artistic impression of planned development. :ph34r:

I'd love to hear what your hypotheses/musings/speculations are on what the B & C are commemorating. .....

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Bronze & Copper Collector said:

I'd love to hear what your hypotheses/musings/speculations are on what the B & C are commemorating. .....

Building started, Completed 😃

Edited by Chingford
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Rob said:

When I was in the Engineers they had a rectangular piece of rock, which had been the high point of Rockall and had been cut out by the first landers to form a table piece for the officer's mess. It was nicknamed "The Square root of Rockall"...

PS - further research - I believe this was the 1971 landing when the light beacon was fitted to the top of the rock. See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rockall

Edited by Paddy

7 minutes ago, Paddy said:

When I was in the Engineers they had a rectangular piece of rock, which had been the high point of Rockall and had been cut out by the first landers to form a table piece for the officer's mess. It was nicknamed "The Square root of Rockall"...

But what is its value? Can't be 0 as its very existence precludes the square root of nothing.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Rob said:

Good job there isn't an F, to commemorate the naval landing on.... :lol:

Edited by Peckris 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Rob said:

But what is its value? Can't be 0 as its very existence precludes the square root of nothing.

That would be the square root of F**kall...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Peckris 2 said:

That would be the square root of F**kall...

Well there's F***kall on Rockall, so not far off.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Bronze & Copper Collector said:

I'm fairly sure that the A's are unbarred.

My A specimens are not high enough grade to show, but if I remember correctly, those better condition examples that I have seen were all unbarred.

Some references list two varieties of the "A" to the left of the lighthouse. The F289A (smaller A) and the F290A (Larger A). Freeman only lists the 290A and also lists it as unbarred. My example is the larger "A" closer to the rim, and is unbarred (F290A). I think Gary's example is a smaller "A" and is closer to the LH. I do not know if Gary's example is barred or not. Here is my example.

IMG_1642 (640x480).jpg

Edited by RLC35
  • Like 2

This is very interesting, thanks Gary & RCL35 for your comments.

Below is an un-barred 'A' example I recently purchased and it appears to be centred between the lighthouse and the inner rim and more of a larger letter 'type' A when compared to the smaller 'triangular' A on your example which is contiguous with the inner ring. Gary's example appears to almost touch the lighthouse if I'm not mistaken and it too seems more of a triangular 'A' in shape.

54289253_Screenshot2019-02-22at19_05_18.png.869199d24fc2c35d3e8efc78c7fd9807.png

• Like 1

15 hours ago, RLC35 said:

Some references list two varieties of the "A" to the left of the lighthouse. The F289A (smaller A) and the F290A (Larger A). Freeman only lists the 290A and also lists it as unbarred. My example is the larger "A" closer to the rim, and is unbarred (F290A). I think Gary's example is a smaller "A" and is closer to the LH. I do not know if Gary's example is barred or not. Here is my example.

IMG_1642 (640x480).jpg

I have 2 with the A on the left of the lighthouse.  One is closer to the rim, the other closer to the lighthouse...

Edited by Bronze & Copper Collector

On 2/22/2019 at 1:26 PM, Diaconis said:

This is very interesting, thanks Gary & RCL35 for your comments.

Below is an un-barred 'A' example I recently purchased and it appears to be centred between the lighthouse and the inner rim and more of a larger letter 'type' A when compared to the smaller 'triangular' A on your example which is contiguous with the inner ring. Gary's example appears to almost touch the lighthouse if I'm not mistaken and it too seems more of a triangular 'A' in shape.

54289253_Screenshot2019-02-22at19_05_18.png.869199d24fc2c35d3e8efc78c7fd9807.png

Here is one exactly like your example, on sale now on EBAY.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/EXTREMELY-RARE-1862-A-HALFPENNY-MINTMARK-A-BRITISH-COIN-FROM-VICTORIA-FINE/202327165980?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao

1 hour ago, RLC35 said:

Yes, the exact type, well spotted RCL35

Here's mine, it's still got a little luster around the periphery.

1981932980_Screenshot2019-02-23at20_54_09.png.8d2ca196a7ea16c304dc9add2f13a1e7.png

• Like 1

Interesting - seems like there were at least three die letter A dies then.

• Like 1