British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

HeavyT

1926 Sixpence Large Bust NGC Graded MS64

Hi,

I purchased this item on eBay and seller mentions it's worth around $2000 but I bought it for $36.

Here's a link to the item, grateful for any advice on what it might be worth:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1926-Great-Britain-6P-Large-Bust-NGC-Graded-MS64-Super-Rare-Coin-/191238534015?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=SQytVJvQvqQRtWuagM99D%252BcxAYo%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Hi,

I purchased this item on eBay and seller mentions it's worth around $2000 but I bought it for $36.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1926-Great-Britain-6P-Large-Bust-NGC-Graded-MS64-Super-Rare-Coin-/191238534015?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=SQytVJvQvqQRtWuagM99D%252BcxAYo%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

I think $36 was a bargain really, considering its condition. By the way, it's the 1926 OE as opposed to the ME - is that larger? Perhaps, a little. But not rare! Not in the slightest. Value? Possibly around twice what you paid for it, perhaps a bit more. Oh, and don't forget to add on an extra $1950 for the slab. :D

It is a nice coin but not worth $2,000. There are two varieties of 1926 sixpence, the old effigy and the modified effigy. The old effigy in UNC is worth around £45 and the modified one around £35. Yours looks like old effigy from the pic (judging by positioning on BM on the truncation). So you gort a pretty good deal at $36.

Hi,

I think $36 was a bargain really, considering its condition. By the way, it's the 1926 OE as opposed to the ME - is that larger? Perhaps, a little. But not rare! Not in the slightest. Value? Possibly around twice what you paid for it, perhaps a bit more. Oh, and don't forget to add on an extra $1950 for the slab. :D

Ha! Beat me to it :lol:

I don't have access to NGC's price/grade figures, but it sounds like someone forgot to insert a decimal point halfway. $20 for an EF (which is what MS60 equates to) can't be too wide of the mark. And as Peck said, don't forget to add on $19.50 for the plastic. ;)

I don't have access to NGC's price/grade figures, but it sounds like someone forgot to insert a decimal point halfway. $20 for an EF (which is what MS60 equates to) can't be too wide of the mark. And as Peck said, don't forget to add on $19.50 for the plastic. ;)

It is graded MS64 and looks better than an EF. I would grade it UNC.

The guy was pricing MS60-63 grade at $2000, hence the comment about the decimal point. I agree it looks better than EF

The seller dragged the $2000 number off the NGC website. Not sure how they got that. Looks like a computer glitch to me. Clearly the seller doesn't know much about grading or pricing... at least for British coins. But the OP got a good deal so all's well that ends well.

It is graded MS64 and looks better than an EF. I would grade it UNC.

The seller dragged the $2000 number off the NGC website. Not sure how they got that. Looks like a computer glitch to me. Clearly the seller doesn't know much about grading or pricing... at least for British coins. But the OP got a good deal so all's well that ends well.

Agreed, on both counts.

Thanks everyone for your helpful comments. So it's not as valuable as suggested by the seller, but I seem to have got a good deal all the same. It's a lovely coin and I'm really pleased to have it in my collection, thanks again for your help :)

Thanks everyone for your helpful comments. So it's not as valuable as suggested by the seller, but I seem to have got a good deal all the same. It's a lovely coin and I'm really pleased to have it in my collection, thanks again for your help :)

Yes, the sixpence is the best way to get a really beautiful UNC coin between 1920-26 without breaking the bank. And the other advantage is that it has the same 'high profile' obverse as 1911-20 so you get really well defined hair detail.