British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Olwen

HELP

Hello. Can I start by saying that I know absolutely nothing about coin collecting. In clearing the old family home I found boxes of old coins, British and foreign. Some of them old, most pretty worn. A lot of pre decimal pennies & ha'pennies and a lot of old silver 3d bits. Despite myself, I'm intrigued and would like to know more about some of them. For instance what is this? It is tiny-1.75mm diameter-and the same on both sides. No date. Metal, but doesn't really look like 'copper' or 'silver' coins. I assume it is some sort of token, but would like to know what for?

post-8412-0-74522600-1406126661_thumb.jp

It looks like a toy coin (for kids) and is probably made my Lauer of Germany. Often Lauer is mentioned in the obverse legend. Actually it's a bit late for Lauer I think, so could be another maker. I sometimes wonder how many times these have passed through the digestive systems of children!

I presume you mean 1.75cm (17.5mm) as 1.75mm would be ridiculously small. It is likely to be toy money, probably made by Lauer of Nurnburg a hundred years ago, give or take a bit.

Must be late Victorian then, I'd forgotten they called Florins 'Two Shillings' then, as well as later.

Thank you- I looked at 'Lauer' and found some pics of very similar coins- no 2/-, but similar patterns. Suppose it could have passed through the infant digestive tract relatively painlessly Chris, but would like to think this one didn't...