British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

One of the real laurillier is on the colin cooke site.Just go into the site and click on pennies the pictures are still up

• Like 1

I believe the chap that bought it has all of them that are available to the public

Perhaps not Neil unless error is the same person

No, I'm not Neil.

I've bought a few things from Gary as he's disposed of a few penny errors from his collection over the past few years. If he was the original source of my Lavrillier copy it might be worth asking him why such a difference in quality between that and some of his current offerings. Must be different private mints producing them.....but how many of these places exist?

• Like 1

Neil was referring to the collector who has the genuine Lavrillier pennies.

Well I know the chap that bought the one from alderly wants to own them all, I am sure he told me he had them all but I definitely could have my wires crossed!!!

Well I know the chap that bought the one from alderly wants to own them all, I am sure he told me he had them all but I definitely could have my wires crossed!!!

Bizarre. Presuambly when he has taken all the rarities off the market and people have walked away from the hobby, he can at least sell them to his other self. That smacks of a rather peurile attitude to collecting. When people start to get greedy and there isn't enough material to go around, the enthusiasm (and demand) for the subject matter wanes. Equally strange is the fact that he isn't shouting his 'achievement' from the rooftops. Wanting the best available example is something most could relate to - wanting all the pieces available is not.

Bizarre. Presuambly when he has taken all the rarities off the market and people have walked away from the hobby, he can at least sell them to his other self. That smacks of a rather peurile attitude to collecting. When people start to get greedy and there isn't enough material to go around, the enthusiasm (and demand) for the subject matter wanes. Equally strange is the fact that he isn't shouting his 'achievement' from the rooftops. Wanting the best available example is something most could relate to - wanting all the pieces available is not.

Hear hear. Well said. It's just an ego thing.

Hear hear. Well said. It's just an ego thing.

I need a Lavrillier to tick the attributed designer box, but if none are available, so be it. I haven't a cat in hell's chance of ticking every box, so one gap is as good as another. Just move on.

Ugly bit at that as well. Congratulations, of sorts, but get over it. I know I sometimes will have two of something and then agonise over which to hold and which to sell & sometimes think I may have made the wrong decision. But trying to hoard them all a bit nuts.

There is a guy over in the states who has tried to hoard all (maybe 11) sacagawea/US 25c piece mules at 45 k USD per!

Comparable to the egg collectors! As kids we would take one egg, which I know we shouldn't have, of course, but these adult collectors take the entire clutches of rare birds...I don't get that at all!

• Like 1

I heard (rumour????) about an Indian eccentric who is bidding on some rare Indian coins purely to ensure he is the sole owner of some of the major rarities (supposedly the reason for bid war in LCA about the £700 estimate gold coin). Once he accumulates all known specimens of a rare variant he destroys all but one in a public showing. Things like this make me feel great sticking to GB bronze wherein the most scare bits hardly ever make it to the high 4 figures. It's still a lot of money for someone like me pursuing a hobby whilst clinging on to 9 to 5 job; but at least I get the odd rarity in my possession once in a while.

I heard (rumour????) about an Indian eccentric who is bidding on some rare Indian coins purely to ensure he is the sole owner of some of the major rarities (supposedly the reason for bid war in LCA about the £700 estimate gold coin). Once he accumulates all known specimens of a rare variant he destroys all but one in a public showing. Things like this make me feel great sticking to GB bronze wherein the most scare bits hardly ever make it to the high 4 figures. It's still a lot of money for someone like me pursuing a hobby whilst clinging on to 9 to 5 job; but at least I get the odd rarity in my possession once in a while.

Pffft. I'd like to destroy HIM at a public showing. :angry:

• Like 1

Pffft. I'd like to destroy HIM at a public showing. :angry:

One can only hope that he subsequently gets burgled. :)

Edited by Rob