British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Guest_Chris

Who needs some help?

Guest Guest_Chris

If you need some help identifying a coin / finding out a value, please post here and perhaps someone (probably me!) can post an answer to your question.

Guest shane
If you need some help identifying a coin / finding out a value, please post here and perhaps someone (probably me!) can post an answer to your question.

is there any books or persons who could help me in spotting fake SOVEREIGNs i have just started to collect coins after many years of stopping would like to start collecting gold coins

Shane,

I don't think there are any books specifically on fake sovereigns. I'd recommend some scales accurate to 100th of a gram to check the weight and an 8x magnifying glass to check the strike quality.

If you get the 2003 Spink book 'Coins of England and the United Kingdom' it also outlines a few commonly found fake dates.

**PLUG** I have scales and a magnifier in the online accessory shop ;)

You are also welcome to post pictures here of intended purchases when you register in the forum.

Thanks for posting,

Chris Perkins

www.predecimal.com

Guest Rob T

Hi

I have a william the 3rd 6p dated 1697 york mint with no stops on obverse but cannot find it in any of my books is it a rare coin or do I just not have the right books.

Rob,

I'm not sure if it should have stops, although the picture has one after the GVLIELMVS. It doesn't specify the type in this years Spink book which I imagine is what you have. To investigate further you'll need the very expensive 'Peck' Copper bible.

Chris

www.predecimal.com

Just my department as it happens... regarding 1697 6ds without obverse stops, i must admit that i have not come across one.

The very fact that you mention that it is a York mint issue though doesn't surprise me. The provincial mints often employed people who couldn't even spell the king's name in some cases.

The 1696 issues can be found without obverse stops so it might be possible that the wrong obverse die was used (a 1696) obverse die, with a 1697 reverse die (since 1696 and some of 1697 share obverse 1, I would imagine that if the die was fairly new during the transition period from one date to another they'd just change the reverse die to the newer date).

I've never come across this before but i should imagine there would be a slight premium over an issue with stops, as the 1696 issue without stops trades at a slightly higher level than those with. (Usually about £10 more for one without stops...as for the one you have who knows since it's unrecorded?).

Hope this helps...

Sylvester.

Guest helen_I'm_a_Guest

Shane, can you reply to my new post about fake pound coins please? Helen :D

Fake pound coins are becoming more widespread. THis months Coin News Magazine has a feature on it. www.tokenpublishing.com

I have emailed you Helen.

Chris Perkins

www.predecimal.com

Guest marky51

could anybody give me a valuation on a 1970s fifty pence with britania on both sides

replies would be most gratefull

You need to get it verified as the real thing, cleverly stuck together coins can be very well done.

Where are you?

Guest markyw51

i am in manchester

Hmmm, well I don't often get up that way.

Maybe later in the year. Sylvester is more local to you....Sylvester if you're reading this, can you get to Manchester easily?

Hmmm, well I don't often get up that way.

Maybe later in the year. Sylvester is more local to you....Sylvester if you're reading this, can you get to Manchester easily?

I though Emperor Oli lived somewhere near Manchester?

Actually in Manchester?

First thing i've got to ask about that 50p is are there any lines running down the edge of the coin?

Secondly does the coin state 'NEW PENCE' on the reverse or 'FIFTY PENCE'? That's both reverses! ;)

With you saying a 1970s coin i'm inclined to think it says 'NEW PENCE'

Is this the case?

It's me who's in Manchester. You could try Colin Cooke, who's just down the road in Brooklands/Altrincham www.colincooke.com (0161) 973 2395

Geoff

Olli's in Blackburn.

Anyway, I must be the only Southerner here!

I though Emperor Oli lived somewhere near Manchester?

It probably says that in my profile because nobody will have heard of a little hamlet sixty miles away called mellor!

[nobody will have heard of a little hamlet sixty miles away called mellor!]

Hey Oli - is that Mellor as in east of Stockport, Glossop way? If so you're just down the road from me - and a lot nearer to Manchester than 60 miles.

Geoff