British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

goomolique

Just a quick one.

It does look like a coating that's 'crazed' - but the coin as a whole doesn't seem to be lacquered, at least from the photos. Could it be something akin to a fingerprint, i.e. something which itself is 'crazing' which has come into contact with the crown and transferred across in the form of grease or staining? I guess you could only finally tell by seeing the coin in hand.

I've a suspicion that it's residue from some kind of sticky tape. Sometimes seen on the reverse of war medals that have been display mounted.

I was thinking the same, so if it is then it got to that state by being dissolved in something and probably ponded as the solvent evaporated. Get it cheaply and experiment. It is going to be soluble in something whether it's acetone, ethanol, acetic acid or whatever. Best bet is something non-polar.

Not acetic acid. Can have a nasty effect on silver.

Not acetic acid. Can have a nasty effect on silver.

True. Lack of joined up thinking there - don't need to make silver acetate as we aren't reinventing photography. I was thinking in terms of whether it had been glued to a surface using clear silicone sealant.

If it is lacquer, acetone will not shift it very well. If it is the remains of glue, acetone might be ok, It does look like ponded remains though. Whatever was used to clean it previously was probably in insufficient quantity.

Edited by Rob

Hopefully you will find one without the question marks Goom; they're not rare.

cheers

Garrett.