British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Debbie

Any ideas on what this is please?

Morning chaps. I wondered if any of you can help me with this? It's not a coin but could be money related? My other half likes collecting engineering objects which have obscure uses, but we have no idea what this could be. It's aprox 11cm wide, 14cm long and 11 cm at its highest point made from some sort of galvanized metal. maybe 1930's? :ph34r:

Thanks for looking!

post-7102-0-18293900-1404211506_thumb.jp

post-7102-0-28787700-1404211518_thumb.jp

Do the wheels rotate independently or count sequentially when the handle is turned or is the handle used to reset the wheels after you manually turn them to a given setting? Any holes to insert something anywhere? The numbering suggests it operates in both directions. Something to do with locks where you turn a wheel both clockwise and anticlockwise?

Each "cog" will rotate independently, but only dowmwards in the one direction. The numbers then appear in the above boxes in succession from 0- 9. The handle appears to move all the cogs that have been moved in the first place. It also resets them all to 0.

Do you think it could be an early counting machine?

I was thinking about a mechanical calculator.Has it got a makers name?

Could be some sort of tally for counting people, mining, football ground or similar. But why would they have different colours. Would it allow you to count people in with one set of reels and then people out with the other at the same time?

Thanks for your inputs guys. No markings or writing on it at all Peter, which leads me to think it had some sort of industrial use - like the idea of counting in something Colin.. Intrigued to know how it was used still though and why the numbers are 4/5 5/4 6/3 7/2 etc.... especially if it does calculate something!

Maybe it doubles as a subtracting device because they are complementary numbers, or tells you the change to be given?

Big calculator, best guess is it an early calculator

Bletchley Park say if you hand it in within 7 days, there'll be no further action. :D

• Haha 1

Early mechanical adding and subtracting machine,from Abacus to calculator to cash register to computer,adding machine was invented by pascal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pascal%27s_calculator

I do not know what denominations they have in 193o,if the nos. in the machine is fraction or not,add all nos. o-9...1-8 still 9 last digit decimal or predecimal?.

just a comment.

Edited by josie

Many thanks for all your comments - especially for that link Josie as the operations bit actually explains how it works!

I can't help thinking that a pencil and paper calculation would be so much easier though! :ph34r: