British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Exbrit

St. George and Dragon designs

Rank and add your opinion of the

1871 - present St. George and Dragon design on the Sovereign reverse (except for 2005 &2012)

2005 design

2012 design

Expected results;

1871 design

2012 design

2005 design - which is disliked immensely

Of those 3 designs, I like the 2005 reverse design the best.

1. Pistrucci - 100%

2. 2012 - 80%

3. 2005 - 55%

Interesting - I didn't think anyone would like the 2005. I just picked one up cheap.

1871 - Appropriate design for a coin.

2012 - Too cartoony, but less cartoony than the 2005.

2005 - Too cartoony.

In order of favorite to least favorite, I would go with 1871, then 2012, then 2005 (least favorite).

For the sake of completeness, below are the 3 different designs referenced:

sovereign_designs_comparison_zpsa66e7f36

It's a shame that St George is falling asleep on the 2012 piece and that 2005 was put together as a stick-and-paste job with a St George that looks like a mildly aggrieved Reg Holdsworth squinting after having lost his glasses ("al gi' thee a backhander lad who doest' think ya are wit' one wing 'n no belly?")

Bringing the 1935 crown into the equation and the order would be 1871, 1935, 2012, 2005.

There are some nice St. George and Dragon designs on the older German talers and some Italian and Hungarian coins which would make for a more difficult comparison but Pistrucci still wins this one for me. Everything he did seems to have attached a real sense of grandeur and his works were deeply rooted in the works of the ancient past. The modern pieces, whether aesthetically pleasing to you or not, completely lack substance.

image00691.jpg

It's a shame that St George is falling asleep on the 2012 piece and that 2005 was put together as a stick-and-paste job with a St George that looks like a mildly aggrieved Reg Holdsworth squinting after having lost his glasses ("al gi' thee a backhander lad who doest' think ya are wit' one wing 'n no belly?")

"You buy one you get one free I said you BUY one you get one free..." :D

Bringing the 1935 crown into the equation and the order would be 1871, 1935, 2012, 2005.

There are some nice St. George and Dragon designs on the older German talers and some Italian and Hungarian coins which would make for a more difficult comparison but Pistrucci still wins this one for me. Everything he did seems to have attached a real sense of grandeur and his works were deeply rooted in the works of the ancient past. The modern pieces, whether aesthetically pleasing to you or not, completely lack substance.

image00691.jpg

REALLY like that one Damian! :)

There is something about class that cannot be undermined by the multiple attempts to create a new improved contemporary design.

George V tried it, and so have others!

Pistrucci every time!

With the choice of those 3 it's a no-brainer for me, Pistrucci for me too :)

So far the results are as expected:

6 for the Pistrucci design (1871 example)

1 for the 2005 design

With most placing the 2012 between the 1871 and 2005

I am actually quite fond of this proposed (fantasy) design. i would vote for this rendition over both the 2012 and the 2005 designs that made actual sovereigns...

1936_Fantasy_Crown_NGC_PF65_Silver_compo

I am actually quite fond of this proposed (fantasy) design. i would vote for this rendition over both the 2012 and the 2005 designs that made actual sovereigns...

I really like this one,

My order would go

Yes - though it's highly derivative of Pistrucci, nevertheless it's a classy design, far superior IMO to the 1935.

image00691.jpg

This St George is based on a Mansfeld thaler of 1521.

image00691.jpg

This St George is based on a Mansfeld thaler of 1521.

Wow, Mansfield was issuing its own talers in 1521? :o:rolleyes:

Yes - though it's highly derivative of Pistrucci, nevertheless it's a classy design, far superior IMO to the 1935.

Aren't all St. George depictions highly derivative? This one is not even close to a rip-off of Pistrucci -- which, for the record, Pistrucci's work was a derivative of intaglio works he saw in Italy; he has been accused (with quite damning evidence) of having ripped off most of his St. George design himself. ;)

I think that makes it art imitating art, imitating art, imitating art, imitating life, imitating legend.

Aren't all St. George depictions highly derivative? This one is not even close to a rip-off of Pistrucci -- which, for the record, Pistrucci's work was a derivative of intaglio works he saw in Italy; he has been accused (with quite damning evidence) of having ripped off most of his St. George design himself. ;)

I didn't say a 'rip off', I said 'derivative', which is unarguable when you consider that the design IS actually very close in concept and elements and pose, though not I agree in actual executed detail.

I think that makes it art imitating art, imitating art, imitating art, imitating life, imitating legend.

:lol: