British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

sbrown

gibraltar £2 coin

Hi, I am new here and was hoping for some help as I've come across a coin I've never seen before and I can't seem to find much about it online.

It's a £2 coin from Gibraltar and is the Hercules and Hippolyta Girdle design. Dated 2000. The only thing I have found out is it has a minted est of 2000?

Thank you to anyone who helps me!

Low mintage, but sadly only worth around £5.00, and that's in Bright Uncirculated condition. Gib just produces too many different coins.

Thank you for your help, I have just been handed a 1988 golden 50p- any ideas?

Chances are that's a gold plated centre piece of one of "Westminster Mint" or similar rip off efforts like this:

5037aETSY_zps4e3e51b1.jpg

Called History of British Coinage, it featured tired circulation coins, gold plated and mounted in a big lump of silver plated base metal. These guaranteed "collector's pieces" yours for only an arm and a leg. Done! You have been sir.

Just avoid junk like this.

Worth 2p...