British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

What did they call july before Julius caesar was born? Surely the romans did not walk around with several unnamed months before they were named properly - this would create lots of problems at work trying to get through to your employer what time you want off , though not as much bother for slaves as you could just refuse them any time off (great to be the boss ain't it ! ) LOL

Edited by copper123

What did they call july before Julius caesar was born? Surely the romans did not walk around with several unnamed months before they were named properly - this would create lots of problems at work trying to get through to your employer what time you want off , though not as much bother for slaves as you could just refuse them any time off (great to be the boss ain't it ! ) LOL

Quinquember?

Or maybe a god got the push - maybe it was Apolly?

(I just Googled, and wasn't so far off! The fifth month was Quintilis before Julius, and the sixth month was Sextilis before Augustus. In fact, the Julian calendar - in force for a very long time - came into existence around the time of Julius Caesar. Before then it was really chaotic apparently - the senate could lengthen or shorten years to either prolong or truncate popular/unpopular consuls.)

Quinquember?

(I just Googled, and wasn't so far off! The fifth month was Quintilis before Julius, and the sixth month was Sextilis before Augustus. In fact, the Julian calendar - in force for a very long time - came into existence around the time of Julius Caesar. Before then it was really chaotic apparently - the senate could lengthen or shorten years to either prolong or truncate popular/unpopular consuls.)

Neat. The ancient equivalent of changing the constitution to solve otherwise intractable impositions on those in power.

Quinquember?

Neat. The ancient equivalent of changing the constitution to solve otherwise intractable impositions on those in power.

No - more like a Coalition Government changing the rules to say there can't be an election until the full 5 years is up :D

A full term is what they should be compelled to serve anyway, unless they have a completely unworkable position.

Edited by Rob

A full term is what they should be compelled to serve anyway, unless they have a completely unworkable position.

Iain Duncan Scrote has been unworkable from Day 1 :lol:

Gordon Brown.....leaves the text

Ruined GB TWAT

Gordon Brown.....leaves the text

Ruined GB TWAT

What, more than all those bankers selling sub-prime mortgages to people who were always going to be bad debts, then creating spurious financial instruments which they sold to the rest of us, that would indemnify themselves when the inevitable crash happened, so that they would be only ones who emerged smelling of roses, rather than what they really were, i.e. the stuff they put on roses .... ?

OPM

Chris,

The site looks good. Wish you every success.

Incidentally why Arabic coins? Outside my field of experience but just interested in how big the potential market would be in English.

Regards

Mark

I expect a quite small market, but it is (as far as I can tell) the only book on reading and understanding specifically Arabic coins. It's a book originally published in 1973, then revised in 1980, by Richard Plant and it's been in and out of print a couple of times since then. It was originally also translated into Russian! I want to provide affordable assistance to inquisitive people both now and for future generations, so hope to keep it in print in one shape or another for eternity, even if I won't be able to retire from it!

For a few quid it can become part of your field or experience.

There is the Michael Broome one Chris.

Oh yes, I remember seeing that one at some point. I've never seen the content, but I don't think it includes basic lessons on reading Arabic?

Yes, looking at a review it is a: "profusely illustrated general history of Islamic coinage".

Will the acknowledgements be up to date? ;)

Shall I put "Clive and his Egyptian mate"? I don't know the name of your mate, or I would include it, if he wants me to.

I don't know the name of your mate, or I would include it, if he wants me to.

I'll email the two of them and see.

Edited by HistoricCoinage