British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Masallah

You mean ma'a salaama ?

No, i meant masallah, i don't have the serif for the S so it would be pronounced mash allah

Chris,

The site looks good. Wish you every success.

Incidentally why Arabic coins? Outside my field of experience but just interested in how big the potential market would be in English.

Regards

Mark

I expect a quite small market, but it is (as far as I can tell) the only book on reading and understanding specifically Arabic coins. It's a book originally published in 1973, then revised in 1980, by Richard Plant and it's been in and out of print a couple of times since then. It was originally also translated into Russian! I want to provide affordable assistance to inquisitive people both now and for future generations, so hope to keep it in print in one shape or another for eternity, even if I won't be able to retire from it!

For a few quid it can become part of your field or experience.

• Like 1

"For a few quid it can become part of your field or experience."

I'm sure I will succumb.

Mark

Very nice looking site Chris. Clean and uncluttered.

"MacKenzie Crook is a keen amateur metal detectorist" I didn't know that. Coo. I've been out a few times this year and I've yet to find a big find but my friend, who I sometimes go out detecting with found the Roman wine dipper on this page:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-south-scotland-27941100

Edited by Hussulo

Excellent. Bit far North for Romans to be losing things, and that makes it all the more fascinating.

Excellent. Bit far North for Romans to be losing things, and that makes it all the more fascinating.

Most likely not lost by a Roman. The Romans were known to have paid coin and given gifts to leaders across the border to form a pseudo-alliance or to make peace.

• Like 1

Its arabic Roberto. Tika is Indian

Err it's British or more accurately Scottish, reported to have been invented in a restaurant in Glasgow.

Edited by Gary1000

Err it's British or more accurately Scottish, reported to have been invented in a restaurant in Glasgow.

Don't you mean Chicken Tikka Masala? I understand that was invented in Britain, though tikka and masala are (separately) authentically Indian.

Put yer handbags away.

Anything less than a madras has been a waste of beer.

Don't you mean Chicken Tikka Masala? I understand that was invented in Britain, though tikka and masala are (separately) authentically Indian.

Tikka is actually Persian and means a cutlet or chunk of meat.

I've never worried where things came from originally, just that they taste ok.

I always wonder where it comes from Rob. I've heard of many variations of what chicken actually was in some Curry houses.

Gary, i've never heard of Masala being invented in Glasgow, deep Fried Mars Bar maybe. Perhaps You're thinking bradford or Manchester in the early 70s

Edited by azda

KFC...On fathers day I stood in a Q for 10 mins before they told me it would be another 20 mins...fried chicken :huh:

Went to a local kebab house and watched the chicken and lamb kebabs getting cooked.

I always wonder where it comes from Rob. I've heard of many variations of what chicken actually was in some Curry houses.

Gary, i've never heard of Masala being invented in Glasgow, deep Fried Mars Bar maybe. Perhaps You're thinking bradford or Manchester in the early 70s

From Wiki:

One claim recounts how a Pakistani chef, Ali Ahmed Aslam (proprietor of the Shish Mahal restaurant in the west end of Glasgow) invented chicken tikka masala by improvising a sauce made from yogurt, cream and spices. His son Asif Ali told the story of its 1971 invention to the BBC's Hairy Bikers TV cookery programme:
"On a typical dark, wet Glasgow night a bus driver coming off shift came in and ordered a chicken curry. He sent it back to the waiter saying it's dry. At the time Dad had an ulcer and was enjoying a plate of tomato soup. So he said why not put some tomato soup into the curry with some spices. They sent it back to the table and the bus driver absolutely loved it. He and his friends came back again and again and we put it on the menu."
In July 2009 Pakistani-born British MP Mohammad Sarwar tabled an Early Day Motion in the House of Commons asking that Parliament support a campaign for Glasgow to be given European Union protected geographical status for chicken tikka masala. The motion was not chosen for debate, nor did Sarwar speak on this subject in Parliament.
Edited by Paulus

The difficulty with any claim regarding this recipe is complicated by the fact that the first Indian restaurant to open in the UK was in 1812, believe it or not!! Although it didn't last long, it does show that Indian food has been around for a long time in the UK, so the originator of the Tikka Masala recipe may be lost in the mists of history - a bit like my memory. :(

The difficulty with any claim regarding this recipe is complicated by the fact that the first Indian restaurant to open in the UK was in 1812, believe it or not!! Although it didn't last long, it does show that Indian food has been around for a long time in the UK, so the originator of the Tikka Masala recipe may be lost in the mists of history - a bit like my memory. :(

I do believe it's a 20th Century invention, in fact quite late perhaps? I know that the average Birmingham 1970s Indian restaurant is no definitive guide, but I don't ever remember seeing it on the menu back then. Nor, in the early 1980s, on the menu of an authentic Indian cuisine in Bearwood Birmingham - they had Chicken Tikka, they had Tandoori Chicken, and they had Butter Chicken Masala, but they didn't have Chicken Tikka Masala even though it was already becoming rather popular by then.

I can remember my student years when the current Mrs Peter and myself dined out on poppadoms curry and keema nan for less than £10.

We recently went back and it cost £60.

I can remember my student years when the current Mrs Peter and myself dined out on poppadoms curry and keema nan for less than £10.

In my student days, a curry cost 75p in the Rusholme cafes. We never asked what was in it.

In my student days, a curry cost 75p in the Rusholme cafes. We never asked what was in it.

Didn't need to. You knew. :ph34r:

Didn't need to. You knew. :ph34r:

I did get 50p ew the previous week.

Most likely not lost by a Roman. The Romans were known to have paid coin and given gifts to leaders across the border to form a pseudo-alliance or to make peace.

Thats exactly what Treasure Trove said to my friend Clive. It was found not too far away from a Bronze age settlement. He was told to keep the locaton secret as they are going to have a dig around where he founf it. Apparently these where also ussually accompanied by a strainer as the wine in the Roman days had a lot of bits floating about in it.

Another interesting fact he told me was that the emperor severus put an end to all the gift giving and that is where our current word severe comes from!

Another interesting fact he told me was that the emperor severus put an end to all the gift giving and that is where our current word severe comes from!

A romantic idea. The word severe comes from the Latin 'severus' which means strict or stern and pre-dates the Emperor's name.

A romantic idea. The word severe comes from the Latin 'severus' which means strict or stern and pre-dates the Emperor's name.

Makes sense. Oh well it did sound like a nice tale. Thanks Clive :)

Makes sense. Oh well it did sound like a nice tale. Thanks Clive :)

You can console yourself with the fact that July is named after Julius Caesar, August after Augustus, and September, October, November and December, after the Latin for 7, 8, 9, and 10 :) No, I'm not THAT bad at maths - their first month was March (named after the god Mars :D )

• Like 1