British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Mark Gebhard

Coin Storage

Guest Mark Gebhard

Hello,

Thanks you for your website, I have found it to be informative.

I have a question of opinion for you.

I’ve been collecting United States state quarters as they are issued in rolls from the U.S. Mint.

One coin collector with whom I’ve done business with has advised me to remove these uncirculated from

the paper roll wrappers for reason that the paper has acid in it that will over time discolor the quarters,

and that I should store the coins in plastic tubes.

It certainly is nice though to have these quarters in the rolls as they are issued from the mint and the rolls also have

identification printed on them as to the various states and mints.

I’m not sure what is best to do, so for now I’ve left them in their original wrappers.

What is your opinion ?

Thanks so much,

Mark

I do believe that these rolls have acid on them (not 100% sure), so it would be best to put them into an acid-free storage system.

It would be very nice to keep these as they are, but if you want to keep them in a really nice condition, i would try an acid free system just in case. However, if you are more concerned about keeping them the way they were issued from the mint, i would leave them in the original cases. It's entirely up to you really.