British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

DaveG38

They never fail to disappoint do they?

Expectations were low this time around, so its good to see England living down to their reputation. Nothing like succeeding at failure. Can't see them getting ahead of Uruguay or Costa Rica. Best they can hope for would be a draw maybe against Uruguay if they are lucky.

Edited by DaveG38

New generation of player...they say mostly compose of yovng players....hope they play like america hockey team that beat Rvssia,by strength and resistance against veteran players,waiting for England players to move fast back and forth in the field it did not happen,..instead they are phasing and setting the game,Italy can gasp for air in that way...jvst a comment maybe next time british coach.

Edited by josie

They just can't be arsed. No pride in playing for their country anymore, it does'nt pay enough

Maybe someday England, or maybe Ireland may have a dream team or other new best player in there generation,,maybe Philippines may also pass the elimination it will take several generation to have good players for soccer,most like basketball in there soccer ball in the hoop in the early days of baskettball.

Rvgby,soccer a team game like hand to hand...shovlder to sholder game of vnity.

Like liverpool team when they win the cvp that they came behind,the coach of England is English like latin motto and can speak 5 langvage a lingvist maybe like others who like latin motto.

Like other motto like measvre for measvre,ovnce for ovnce.

Before the first half is over most players boith are tired i think.

Hope England will pounce back in there next game.

Edited by josie

I think your comments are grossly unfair. England played well, except on the left in their own third when Italy were attacking (which is exactly where Italy's second goal came from). As far as not moving the ball quickly is concerned, the heat in Manaus was crippling. Once Italy were ahead they could afford to sit back in possession, slow the game right down, and get their breath back.

Having said that, they've got their work cut out now, but don't forget that Uruguay also lost their first game.

I think your comments are grossly unfair. England played well, except on the left in their own third when Italy were attacking (which is exactly where Italy's second goal came from). As far as not moving the ball quickly is concerned, the heat in Manaus was crippling. Once Italy were ahead they could afford to sit back in possession, slow the game right down, and get their breath back.

Having said that, they've got their work cut out now, but don't forget that Uruguay also lost their first game.

England did block several shot of Italy by the players not the goal keeper good defense.

England keep attacking and kicking taking the play on there shovlder impressive for yovng players to take a shot.

Maybe it is jvst me that I expect England will take them in second half they are yovng loads of energy.

Edited by josie

I thought our young team, who carried no great expectations, played very well :) Everything still to play for

young and old both dont hold back,older have a bigger thigh when they speak they make the young awe.

Better for the young to walk with the old and wise...all the best for the team.

I think there are too many delusions here, and on other sites, about England's capabilities. Looked at objectively, the England defence was relatively poor at times - Italy had several good opportunities and even struck the bar in the last few minutes with Joe Hart stationery, just watching. A score of 3:1 or 4:1 wouldn't have flattered them.

Many people are also making much of England's attack, but the truth is that England rarely got anywhere near close enough to the goal to threaten to score (leaving aside the actual goal) and were reduced to long range shots, which were no problem for the Italian goalkeeper. That might have been OK, but they rarely got the shot on target - shots mostly missed by a mile or went over the bar. Gerrard is a master at kicking a free kick over the bar. Yes, Sterling and others were skillful, but they pretty much always ran into an Italian and lost the ball. Certainly, they never looked to seriously threaten the Italian defence, which dealt with them clinically and efficiently.

Then there's Rooney, who, yes, made the goal scored, but apart from that was a waste of space and always has been in an England shirt. God knows why the managers always play him - I don't buy the argument that he can turn a game in an instant of genius. Maybe, but those flashes are so infrequent that waiting for one to occur and to do so at the right time is a pipedream. Better to put a genuine player on the pitch, who at least might actually try to score. In defence of this view of Rooney, I would just point to the corner that he managed to blast into the crowd. I've never seen a player ever manage that, even at schoolboy level. To do so in a world cup game was pathetic.

By contrast England's defence was poor - Baines was having terrible trouble whenever Italy attacked down that side of the pitch. Then there's England's corner taking idiocy. Consistently, they aimed for the far post, usually over kicked the ball, but either way there was nobody there to pick up the ball. What's the point of aiming for a spot where there are no players? Seems ridiculous to me.

So, looking at them, even with changes, I don't find much to suggest that they will fare any better against Uruguay next week. Suarez will no doubt play and that will create havoc for England's poor defence. England's attack will still falter as soon as they've got sight of goal, and Uruguay will be stung by the defeat to Costa Rica, so I don't believe they will play anywhere like they did in their first match. By contrast England are unable to improve and will be on their nerves, knowing that a lost match will be the end for them. I see a low scoring game, with England maybe getting a draw if they are lucky, but more likely going down 1-0. As for Costa Rica, if they play as they did the other day, then England will have no chance against them.

Costa Rica and Italy favourites to go forward, who would have thought that. Here was me thinking Engerrrrland had a half decent chance to progress, but after watching Costa Rica destroy Uruguay i think they'll finish bottom of the group

I thought Henderson, Sterling, Welbeck, Sturridge, Jagielka, and Baines (except when he had to cover two Italian players at once) all had good games, and Gerrard and Hart, while not at their best, didn't do anything much wrong. Lallana looked good when he came on, and Wilshere didn't get enough of the ball. The problems seemed to me that England didn't recycle the ball quick enough (probably the heat), and Welbeck should have driven forward more often.

I think whoever said it's a wide open group is dead right. It only takes Uruguay to beat Italy, and England to beat Costa Rica, and who knows how the group will end up? Certainly losing to Italy 2-1 in the heat is arguably a better opening result than drawing 1-1 with the USA.

nah England are fine, Uruguay are 2 strikers and not much else.

France beating Wiga... Honduras :(

• Like 1

I think there are too many delusions here, and on other sites, about England's capabilities. Looked at objectively, the England defence was relatively poor at times - Italy had several good opportunities and even struck the bar in the last few minutes with Joe Hart stationery, just watching. A score of 3:1 or 4:1 wouldn't have flattered them.

Many people are also making much of England's attack, but the truth is that England rarely got anywhere near close enough to the goal to threaten to score (leaving aside the actual goal) and were reduced to long range shots, which were no problem for the Italian goalkeeper. That might have been OK, but they rarely got the shot on target - shots mostly missed by a mile or went over the bar. Gerrard is a master at kicking a free kick over the bar. Yes, Sterling and others were skillful, but they pretty much always ran into an Italian and lost the ball. Certainly, they never looked to seriously threaten the Italian defence, which dealt with them clinically and efficiently.

Then there's Rooney, who, yes, made the goal scored, but apart from that was a waste of space and always has been in an England shirt. God knows why the managers always play him - I don't buy the argument that he can turn a game in an instant of genius. Maybe, but those flashes are so infrequent that waiting for one to occur and to do so at the right time is a pipedream. Better to put a genuine player on the pitch, who at least might actually try to score. In defence of this view of Rooney, I would just point to the corner that he managed to blast into the crowd. I've never seen a player ever manage that, even at schoolboy level. To do so in a world cup game was pathetic.

By contrast England's defence was poor - Baines was having terrible trouble whenever Italy attacked down that side of the pitch. Then there's England's corner taking idiocy. Consistently, they aimed for the far post, usually over kicked the ball, but either way there was nobody there to pick up the ball. What's the point of aiming for a spot where there are no players? Seems ridiculous to me.

So, looking at them, even with changes, I don't find much to suggest that they will fare any better against Uruguay next week. Suarez will no doubt play and that will create havoc for England's poor defence. England's attack will still falter as soon as they've got sight of goal, and Uruguay will be stung by the defeat to Costa Rica, so I don't believe they will play anywhere like they did in their first match. By contrast England are unable to improve and will be on their nerves, knowing that a lost match will be the end for them. I see a low scoring game, with England maybe getting a draw if they are lucky, but more likely going down 1-0. As for Costa Rica, if they play as they did the other day, then England will have no chance against them.

Looks like my prediction is coming good - 1-0 at half time!! And Rooney missed a header from all of a yard out. Why we play this useless clown I have no idea.

LOOKS LIKE THEY ARE COMING BACK IN THE NEXT DAY OR SO WITH THE WOODEN SPOON>

At least they gave it a go though SPAIN were attrocious.

Looks like my prediction is coming good - 1-0 at half time!! And Rooney missed a header from all of a yard out. Why we play this useless clown I have no idea.

Oh well, the clown got a goal, but a fat lot of good that was. Listening to the comments afterwards, I was struck by how deluded most of the speakers are about England and their performance. They just don't seem to get it that England are a poor team, with few real skills and little idea how to play the game to win. The passing was slow and often inaccurate, the build up ponderous, penetration when near the Uruguay penalty area was almost non-existent, and when any kind of chance presented, the strikers failed comprehensively to strike.

All the way through I could see exactly how this game was going to end. England were never going to win it and were obviously going to lose, and so they have - again, they haven't failed to disappoint. Even now the commentators are going on about how its still possible to qualify - what planet are they on? Do they seriously expect England to beat Costa Rica - oh please!! Its all over and everybody with any sense knows that.

I took a rare foray onto planet football tonight and have to confess I thought the result was a fair outcome. The most striking thing to me was the near complete inability of England to win a one on one situation. Close ball control doesn't seem to figure much in their repertoire as it seemed they came off second best 8 out of 10 times, which isn't good enough at international level. They were too static when passing the ball, giving no options for incisive distribution.

In short, they are crap.

Ref didnt help by bottling giving a second yellow in the first half, when the foul was blatent yellow.

to many overrated liverpool players in this England team.

Azda is right.....they are just not good enough.....they can't take the pressure of expectancy......and until the Prem cuts back on foreign imports nothing will change. We can't have both - exciting, multi-cultural Premiership teams as well as a good England team.

Poor old Gerrard. His mistake tripping over the ball let in Demba Ba which cost Liverpool the title and now he heads on for Suarez to score the winning goal. You couldn't make it up!

Edited by RChris

Anyone think hodgeson should go?

Sorry i think he should , in the end he is taking a wage 12 x more than he deserves

The problem is'nt Hodgsons, the problem is that England players have no ball skills, no close Control and don't know how to react under pressure. This comes from Clubs such as Man Citeeeee throwing hundreds of thousands of pounds at Young players who then could'nt care less if England win or lose because their heads are so far up their own arses.

Far to many foreigners in the PL because Clubs want to stay in the PL where the large Apple pie sits and waits, unfortunately you can't have your cake and eat it.

Hodgson was'nt in charge when you lost previously to the Mighty South Americans. (See Image)

post-5057-0-93097200-1403251816_thumb.jp

post-5057-0-62263000-1403251918_thumb.jp

post-5057-0-50826900-1403251931_thumb.jp

Edited by azda

Ok, ok... England aren't great. But before you multi-post slating them for how shit they are, can I just say that Scotland haven't even qualified for the world cup for over 15 years now...

And when you did qualify, you lost the opening game due to an own goal, drew the second game then got smashed 3-0 in the third.

In the famous words of Josie... Jvst a comment.. :ph34r:

Ok, ok... England aren't great. But before you multi-post slating them for how shit they are, can I just say that Scotland haven't even qualified for the world cup for over 15 years now...

And when you did qualify, you lost the opening game due to an own goal, drew the second game then got smashed 3-0 in the third.

In the famous words of Josie... Jvst a comment.. :ph34r:

And might i just say that English Supporers always stated us for Italia 90and getting Beat from Costa Rica, ooooooh the irony of your Hopes being pinned on beating them, although, if they draw with Italy then its done and dusted. The next point is that your Engerrrrrland striker has score the same amount of Goals as our defender in Italian 90. next point is we are a small Nation of 5 million, Engerrrrrrrland 50 plus million, much more choice of playing talent. Next point is you also lost your opening game, oh wait, two games now. As you Pointed out quite correctly WE DID AT LEAST DRAW A GAME

Also if you wish to Quote correctly, it was 98 Scotland last qualified and is impossible for it to be 15 years as the World Cup is held in an even numbered year and not an odd one. We at least played a decent team, aka Brazil in the opening game that year. Oh and of you're not sure what BANTER is, look it up.

I love how English supporters cannot stand taking their own shit, Viva last reveloution in September

Edited by azda