British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Paulus

Which G3 HC to keep?

As I pare down my collection to my preferred example of a 'type', choices are normally clear cut for me, based on a combination of eye appeal and grade.

However I really can't decide between these 1818 and 1819 Halfcrowns, so for anyone interested, as a bit of fun, I would like to know which one you would keep, if you couldn't keep both!

1819_HC_01_1000x500_zps6b2b2695.png

1818_HC_01_1000x500_zps86f1157c.png

Easy the 1818 :). I think it's obvious why

No contest for me either,1818! The other looks hairlined to me, Paulus???

On first glance the more contrasty 1819 looks nice. But there are the more apparent scratches (a wipe in the past? Though maybe just be a result of a slightly different angle of light in the photo).

And it looks to me as if there are slightly better rims and reverse detail to the 18.

So it's 1818 for me too, if that helps?

1818 for me too

send me the 1819 for further investigation >.>

Thanks chaps, that's exactly the sanity check I needed! The 1819 has some merit in terms of the contrast eye appeal (as Richard notes - btw the pics were both taken under the same lighting at the same angle etc), but I hate the suggestion of cleaning in the fields that it has ... clean (if not proof-like) fields are very desirable to me. The 1818 stays and the 1819 is consigned to, well, whoever wants it!

You know how it is sometimes, guess I didn't really want to get rid of either of them!

If it's of any interest, I paid NEF money for the 1818 and GVF money for the 1819.

Edited by Paulus

1818. Reverse slightly better struck, less cleaning and hairlines.

I agree with everyone else but there's not a hell of a lot in it.

Maybe put them both on eBay at 1.1 times 'X' and keep the one that doesn't sell first......

If after some time neither sells pull the 1818 and drop the price on the 1819.

I'm going to have to agree with the everyone. I liked the contrast on the 1819 but i will have to go with the 1818 in the end.

Just to echo the masses, 1918. The striations put me off the 1919!

My Spink says that 1818 is also worth slightly more than 1819.

My Spink says that 1818 is also worth slightly more than 1819.

I think that's a by-product of the excessive silver output in 1816-7. You often see the large output of a new currency type, followed by a scarce date 2 or 3 years down the line. 1818, 1864 pennies, 1938 G6, 1912 &13 G5, 1954 E2 Cu-Ni. In the case of the G3 recoinage, there had been a shortage of silver throughout the Napoleonic Wars, so only with the introduction of a token currency whereby the value of the silver was below face could they issue sufficient quantities to satisfy demand - which of course they did with a vengeance. 1818 is a pig of a date for mint state shillings in contrast to the previous 2 years which are abundant.

Edited by Rob

That's interesting , thanks for that Rob. I guess then it might have been the same case with the shilling then.

Just too confuse matters, i'd get rid of both and put the Money towards another, i much prefer the bullhead HCs of George III. The 1818 has a thumbprint on the OBV, you can get a bullhead for maybe around the 300 GBP mark :rolleyes:

I agree, I don't like either with just too much "wiping" on the 1819 and the 1818 excessively dipped. Not one I would be interested in.

Here you go Paul. Next DNW sale, Sept, graded as GEF 150-200 Estimate

post-5057-0-99994700-1402575074_thumb.jp

Thanks Dave, I have a bull head I am happy with, but I might sell both of these and get a better small head type :)

Check the DNW catalogue for September, there is also a small head in GEF

Get rid of both and buy farthings...oh maybe not B)

As I pare down my collection to my preferred example of a 'type', choices are normally clear cut for me, based on a combination of eye appeal and grade.

However I really can't decide between these 1818 and 1819 Halfcrowns, so for anyone interested, as a bit of fun, I would like to know which one you would keep, if you couldn't keep both!

I'm not going to read the other comments yet, as I want to give you an unbiased opinion. For me, the 1818 is a clear winner. It doesn't have the scuff striations on the obverse, as the 1819 has. The reverses are probably level-pegging, as each has areas stronger than the other, but I like the legend better on the 1818.

I'm not going to read the other comments yet, as I want to give you an unbiased opinion. For me, the 1818 is a clear winner. It doesn't have the scuff striations on the obverse, as the 1819 has. The reverses are probably level-pegging, as each has areas stronger than the other, but I like the legend better on the 1818.

Same as, then, Peck! I really couldn't live with the '19 obverse at all!

Someone made a remark about dipped '18, I never really picked this up from a casual look at the images (plus, Paulus' images tend to be quite blue), but that may be quite true!

Maybe get rid of the pair and sink the money into something in the up-and-coming??? Try and get there if poss.? ;)

Bet you wish you'd never asked now? ;)

I agree, I don't like either with just too much "wiping" on the 1819 and the 1818 excessively dipped. Not one I would be interested in.

You think the 1818 is dipped?