British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Paulus

Which G3 HC to keep?

Looking at the 1818 in hand again, I would say it is problem free, i.e. no thumb print or dipping etc, as far as I can tell - just my sub-standard pics then perhaps!

As I pare down my collection to my preferred example of a 'type', choices are normally clear cut for me, based on a combination of eye appeal and grade.

However I really can't decide between these 1818 and 1819 Halfcrowns, so for anyone interested, as a bit of fun, I would like to know which one you would keep, if you couldn't keep both!

I'm not going to read the other comments yet, as I want to give you an unbiased opinion. For me, the 1818 is a clear winner. It doesn't have the scuff striations on the obverse, as the 1819 has. The reverses are probably level-pegging, as each has areas stronger than the other, but I like the legend better on the 1818.

Same as, then, Peck! I really couldn't live with the '19 obverse at all!

Someone made a remark about dipped '18, I never really picked this up from a casual look at the images (plus, Paulus' images tend to be quite blue), but that may be quite true!

Maybe get rid of the pair and sink the money into something in the up-and-coming??? Try and get there if poss.? ;)

Bet you wish you'd never asked now? ;)

Not at all, I appreciate the brutal honesty of this Forum, not something you always get when asking opinions ... the numismatic equivalent of "Does my bum look big in this?!"

I think the only thing I prefer about the 1819 is the tone ... and I agree Stuart, the evidence of wiping in the obverse fields of the 1819 is a massive no-no for me too!

Thanks for your opinions everyone :)

... the numismatic equivalent of "Does my bum look big in this?!"

:lol: excellent! :)

I will go to coin that is rare in pop report of PCGS,NGC and CGS...jvst a comment.

I will go to coin that is rare in pop report of PCGS,NGC and CGS...jvst a comment.

Oh, Josie! :rolleyes:;):)

Yes, lifeless appearance with a slight bit of yellow retoning to it.

Do you mean silver electroplating? ie connecting the coin to an electrode and placing in a silver (chloride?) bath ?

Well, where on earth would we be without Seuk?

He has correctly identified the 1818 as a high quality modern Chinese fake, and I will be getting a full refund (including return postage) from the seller. It certainly fooled me (and the seller, I believe), but it shouldn't have done as there was a thread on here 3 years ago about what to look for in this series!

http://www.predecima...-chinese-fakes/

Possibly explains some of the attributes of the 1818 that some of you didn't like so much!

This is now the 3rd time (in 5 years) that I have been lucky enough to discover (with help from members on here) that I have acquired a fake, and have obtained a full refund - I wonder what's the betting that I have others lurking in my collection? I fear for those Gothic and Wreath crowns, there are just too many of them out there!

Thanks a million Seuk - I will send you high res images for your records as requested :)

And to return to the topic from the OP, I definitely WILL NOT be keeping the 1818!!

Edited by Paulus

Seuk you bloody ripper !!

I don't think anyone troubled to assess it for authenticity, Paulus, I think it was taken as read that you'd already covered that one off?

Well done seuk, and well done on getting a full refund...was this a recent acquisition then?

Well done again to Seuk. Would be interested to know where it was purchased. As Stewie mentioned, it never even occurs to me that it was a fake, i was merely looking at desirability, glad i did'nt like it ;) lol

Edited by azda

While we're on the subject of fakes, what do we think of this 1735 crown? Leaving aside the ugly stain, there's something about the surfaces of the kings bust that looks almost cast to me, although overall the coin looks reasonable. Edge inscription looks very uneven too.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111379136480?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Edited by DaveG38

@Garrett
That's even a low quality copy - Reported!

@Paulus

I'm glad you were able to get a refund Paul :) and I'll be looking forward for the scans (a photo may be just as good - its only that I'm used to working with scans where I can be sure of the exact size of the coin).

Seuk what gives Pauls and the ebay one away as being fake?

While we're on the subject of fakes, what do we think of this 1735 crown? Leaving aside the ugly stain, there's something about the surfaces of the kings bust that looks almost cast to me, although overall the coin looks reasonable. Edge inscription looks very uneven too.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111379136480?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I think it's kosher

I think it's kosher

Yes, I agree with Rob. It would be silly to run a fake with a) such an ugly stain c) may have been dipped too.

I had one many moons ago also with a 180 degree die Rotation. The seller lived about 5km away from me and went back with it after posting it on the forum. This was around 2010