British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Carpe Diem

Identifying Polished Coins

Hello,

I wonder if anyone had any advice on identifying whether coins have been polished by using only pictures? For example, if you're looking to buy coins online and want to spot signs that someone's gone hammer and tongs with the Brasso?

Here are 3 examples I just took from eBay and would appreciate your thoughts on them. The 2nd image for example has smooth, lighter areas but then darker shading around the lettering - is this a clue?

Many thanks

post-8387-0-51453100-1402486394_thumb.jp

post-8387-0-53638400-1402486409_thumb.jp

post-8387-0-46492800-1402486440_thumb.jp

A lot of coins are dirty around the lettering as the surface is more protected there by the lettering and the rim of the coin. On the other hand it is harder to clean in that area for the same reasons.

I don't think any of those have been polished, at least not in the last 100 years! Higher, worn areas are often lighter. The first one is the most likely to have been polished, but certainly not recently and probably not at all.

John, at those grades i doubt it would matter about polishing, These are more or less bullion value.

John, at those grades i doubt it would matter about polishing, These are more or less bullion value.

Not for the 1689 2/6d. Those are almost as common as Churchill crowns, but certainly better than bullion ;)

Hello,

I wonder if anyone had any advice on identifying whether coins have been polished by using only pictures? For example, if you're looking to buy coins online and want to spot signs that someone's gone hammer and tongs with the Brasso?

Here are 3 examples I just took from eBay and would appreciate your thoughts on them. The 2nd image for example has smooth, lighter areas but then darker shading around the lettering - is this a clue?

Many thanks

No evidence of cleaning that I can see. Note that a lot of 19th Century currency silver has a 'mirror finish' when UNC. This can always be told apart from polishing (even without seeing faint striations):

1. Mirror finish always survives between the legend and the lowest parts of the design where wear is last to reach. The highest parts lose it first.

2. Polishing is the reverse of that - the highest parts will show the polishing effect, whereas the lowest and between the legend won't.