British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
shamo

1918 KN axis

hi, how common is it for an 1918 kn penny to have trident pointing to 12 o'clock rather than 1.

thank's shamo

Do you mean the trident tip is at 12 o'clock on the coin itself (where Britannia's head is), or that the general positioning of the trident is at a completely vertical angle?

Either way, the trident always has a slant on it.. Even on the 2mm version of the 1895 penny (although I don't know if the 'ONE PENNY' was moved or the trident's position itself).

Got any pics?

thank's for getting in touch,the trident would be to 12 and britannia's head at 11, making the trident vertical with the obverse,it's a hard one to photo,it's the only 1918 i have and compared it with a 1919 kn which has britannia vertical.

Ah, I see. This is called a "die rotation error" (sometimes die axis error) where the obverse and reverse dies are not the exact same degree of rotation. I'm sure this is just human error and not setting the dies up correctly when putting them in place, although I've heard of dies rotating once they've been in use for a while. Not actually as common as it might seem, and I've seen some full medal style rotation errors (180 degree turn) sell for a good couple of hundred pounds.

Pictures would be good, you don't necessarily need to show the degree of rotation although you can achieve this by taking a picture of the back of the coin with the front of it facing a mirror. That way you can see both obverse and reverse and if you keep the side facing you as upright as possible it gives a clear indication how much the other side has turned.

By the sounds of it, the rotation is only minimal, but you might still get more than a standard 'worn' 1918kn penny!

post-7224-0-10347400-1402433671_thumb.jppost-7224-0-32377800-1402433778_thumb.jp

i did'nt know what the term for it was,thank's, the coin is in a 2x2 just flip clock wise,i tried the mirror about 10 time's i just could'nt get a photo i was happy with,for this error it's a first for me to see or even find,i'm going to hang on to it until a better one come's my way.

Nice error Shamo! Definitely a keeper, especially as it's a KN and the detail isn't actually as bad as some of them end up..

I think it's a nice example of this error, if you ever do sell it, give me a shout ;)

thank's again Nordle for your help, if i come across another i'll keep you in mind.

• Like 1