British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

susieq

How Can You Tell A Forgery?

Help required please!

My husband took this coin to dealer who said it was a forgery, BUT, offered £30.00 for it!

How can I tell if it's real or not?

Thank you in advance

Susan.

post-8379-0-30159000-1401729184_thumb.pn

post-8379-0-74282700-1401729349_thumb.pn

Help required please!

My husband took this coin to dealer who said it was a forgery, BUT, offered £30.00 for it!

How can I tell if it's real or not?

Thank you in advance

Susan.

Hi Susan.

It's definitely a modern copy as the mark in the first quarter of the reverse (the one with 15 in it) has the heart shaped mark. This is worth a pound or two and no more.

That dealer sounds suspicious to me.

From what I can see of it (the pictures are too small), it could well be a replica, which isn't a forgery as such but neither is it genuine. The surface looks like it is the wrong metal, and there's a suspicious triangular 'cut out' on the obverse ("heads") side between 8 and 9 o'clock where the circle of beads is. And on the reverse there is a shamrock shape to the left just above the centre line. Either of those might contain the initials WRL which stands for Westair Reproductions Limited. If sthat' what you see there, then it's definitely a replica and not worth very much. Certainly not £30.

Oh well I won't give up the day job yet!

Sorry about the image size, but the first files were too big!

Would it be okay to post just one more coin for you to cast your expert eyes over? My dad as per, had boxes of coins, I have had them lying gathering dust until my son came up yesterday with an old large 50p! He thought that was an antique!

Thank you for your opinions.

Susan.

Sell it to your dealer for £30! I can find him plenty of others if he's happy to pay that? ;)

• Like 1

Haha! He then flung it in the bag of sliver 3d, and offered £13.00 the lot :-( thought when I found it that it was too good to be true!

any thoughts on the dover port token?

That appears genuine from the photographs.

Thank you, any idea on it's worth if anything? Bearing in mind I thought it was like a gaming machine token!

The Dalton & Hamer (definative catalogue) description is:

1794 Kent Dover Halfpenny Conder Token D&H #16a

OBVERSE: Bust to right. THE R. HON. W. PITT. LORD WARDEN CINQUE PORTS:

REVERSE: The arms of Dover (ship, knight, castle). CINQUE PORTS TOKEN PAYABLE AT DOVER 1794. EDGE: PAYABLE IN LANCASTER LONDON OR BRISTOL

In that condition, it should do well. Possibly £25-40, depending on who sees it.

or less if I see it >.>

I would go with around £40. looks nice on the eye which helps.