British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

wendydjango

Help With These Coins Plz?

Any ideas if this is worth keeping or selling? any suggestions are welcome too

trying to upload pictures but it keeps saying file is too big! so im gonna have to try resize my pictures any help on that too? x

post-8375-0-43032700-1401368621_thumb.jp

post-8375-0-15024400-1401368630_thumb.jp

This one is fairly self-explanatory. It is a 1955 10 dinars of Former Yugoslavia as seen here. They appear to sell for about 60 pence.

Cheers for the info i just noticed that the wrong pictures got uploaded? im trying to crop my pictures so i can upload them! but they are ending up all fuzzy etc any ideas how to make them the correct size so i can put them up without making them look so bad? thanks too i really do appreciate any help on here i just dont want to be a pain in the @rse tho! x

Cheers for the info i just noticed that the wrong pictures got uploaded? im trying to crop my pictures so i can upload them! but they are ending up all fuzzy etc any ideas how to make them the correct size so i can put them up without making them look so bad? thanks too i really do appreciate any help on here i just dont want to be a pain in the @rse tho! x

Upload your fullsize pics to an image Hosting site like photobucket then copy and Paste the Image url into your post. If your Image suffers from bluriness or pixalation after cropping then it means you've taken the picture in a small resolution, if you have an 8 million Mega Pixel camera you should try to use at least 3-5 million megapixel when taking pictures, this gives about a 1meg picture and when cropped still leaves 500-700kb picture.

Hi, thanks for that info, im currently using a 14 million pixel camera and also my Iphone as it takes some really good quality pics but the 14 mega pixel camera gives me 4-5 mb pictures which are pretty big sized and very good for zooming into have a very close up look at the coins but i will do what you have suggested today and start getting some of my coins on here for you to look at and thanks for all the help ive been getting,iv only been a member for a couple of days and you guys & (debbie) have been very helpfull and kind xx

Hi, thanks for that info, im currently using a 14 million pixel camera and also my Iphone as it takes some really good quality pics but the 14 mega pixel camera gives me 4-5 mb pictures which are pretty big sized and very good for zooming into have a very close up look at the coins but i will do what you have suggested today and start getting some of my coins on here for you to look at and thanks for all the help ive been getting,iv only been a member for a couple of days and you guys & (debbie) have been very helpfull and kind xx

There's now a 500k limit per post here (it was 150k before...). This is what you should do - there is also a thread in Beginners forum :

1. Import your camera's picture into an image editor. If you're on a PC Picasa is free, and my tutorial was done using Picasa on a Mac.

2. Resize the image so the coin itself (crop if necessary) is around 600 pixels square which is quite big enough

3. While in 'Resize mode', knock the resolution down to around 90ppi - it doesn't need to be higher for computer screens

4. Save the image at medium quality, not high.

Having done that, your image should EASILY fit into 500k - you'd probably have spare for both sides to be honest. (You can try Photobucket if you want, but if you're not already registered there it can be a real hassle. I hate that site.)

http://s1276.photobucket.com/user/wendydjango/media/Mobile%20Uploads/77007982-83CD-4C94-A651-70CFE086A0F5_zpsyzp0ysqb.png.html

Hi,i joined photobucket and im hoping im doing this right now? above is the url link to one of my coins its a 1930 one penny and below is the link to the other side of the coin, plz let me know if this is how im meant to show my coins as uploading them direct onto here is just not working as my pictures are way too big, any comments on this coin would be appreciated and if i am doing this right i will upload more,thanks xxx

http://i1276.photobucket.com/albums/y464/wendydjango/Mobile%20Uploads/EE20E3C8-3E66-424B-BD66-691088D7E6A7_zpskuvtkvsw.png

If the direct linking doesn't work Wendy (it doesn't for me) look at the top left of the reply box. There you'll hopefully see an icon that looks a bit like a switch. Click on that and your typeface will change to a more basic form and you can then enter code. The code for an image is img. You need it in square brackets for it to be recognised as such and you need a pair, one to switch it on and another, preceded by / to switch it off again.

Type in [im g] [ /im g] but without the spaces between the letters - I had to leave those or it confuses things!- then paste your photobucket link between the two sets of square brackets. And you should end up with something like this:

EE20E3C8-3E66-424B-BD66-691088D7E6A7_zps

Edited by TomGoodheart

EE20E3C8-3E66-424B-BD66-691088D7E6A7_zpspost-8375-0-26654700-1401529924_thumb.jp

Hiya iv tried doing what you said and errrr ? maybe i have done it right?

Well, I can see your coin now, if that's what you mean Wendy! :lol:

Well, I can see your coin now, if that's what you mean Wendy! :lol:

Hi yes that is what i meant,it comes up on my page as a thumbnail size pic? but when you click on it then it goes bigger so is that right? x

Oh yeah what do you think of the 1930 one penny and the 1966 one penny please? the 1966 penny is extremely fine and i believe its uncirculated? it has slight marks but not very noticeable and i know most uncirculated coins are not perfect and do have slight marks etc on them, the 1930 penny seems to have longer flatter edge teeth on the left compared to the teeth on the right side they appear to me smaller and more dot like to me? any opinions are welcome , im going to be putting photos up today of some other coins thay might be of interest to you,thanks xxx

Oh yeah what do you think of the 1930 one penny and the 1966 one penny please? the 1966 penny is extremely fine and i believe its uncirculated? it has slight marks but not very noticeable and i know most uncirculated coins are not perfect and do have slight marks etc on them, the 1930 penny seems to have longer flatter edge teeth on the left compared to the teeth on the right side they appear to me smaller and more dot like to me? any opinions are welcome , im going to be putting photos up today of some other coins thay might be of interest to you,thanks xxx

The 1930 penny has been struck ever so slightly off centre, that's why the teeth look longer on one side. Its grade would be not far off VF (Very Fine) but its edge has taken a bit of a battering! The 1966 penny does look just about UNC to me (can't see any wear). Certainly good enough to keep if you're looking for an example of that date.

The 1930 penny has been struck ever so slightly off centre, that's why the teeth look longer on one side. Its grade would be not far off VF (Very Fine) but its edge has taken a bit of a battering! The 1966 penny does look just about UNC to me (can't see any wear). Certainly good enough to keep if you're looking for an example of that date.

Hi thanks for your input on the coins,i am actually looking to sell coins, i posted about the reason why im needing to start selling them, im just wanting an honest opinion on what sort of price to ask for them? i have 100's of coins that my late dad left me and also some of my own as i have been collecting for quite a few years now,i just need a good honest opinion and price and i do value your opinion too and thanks xxx

• Like 1

im going to be posting pictures of coins today too i hope i get some good feedback on some of them too is there a certain part of the forum i have to post the pictures of coins im wanting to sell please? x

Oh yeah sorry but i have around 8 of the UNC penny coins to sell too! X

Hi thanks for your input on the coins,i am actually looking to sell coins, i posted about the reason why im needing to start selling them, im just wanting an honest opinion on what sort of price to ask for them? i have 100's of coins that my late dad left me and also some of my own as i have been collecting for quite a few years now,i just need a good honest opinion and price and i do value your opinion too and thanks xxx

Welcome to the forum Wendy!

I use Photobucket to post images of my coins directly into here, for example:

1834_HC_CGS_zps0436fb62.png

The trick is to click the "Direct" link in PB, it will show the word 'Copied' on a yellow background for a second. Then you can paste it into the Image URL Properties box in a post on here :)

im going to be posting pictures of coins today too i hope i get some good feedback on some of them too is there a certain part of the forum i have to post the pictures of coins im wanting to sell please? x

Here Wendy: http://www.predecimal.com/forum/forum/58-items-for-sale/

However ... whether here is the best place to sell them is debatable. So far what I've seen has been ... how do I put this? A sort of average assortment of coins put together by a casual collector. Picked from change or from travels as nicer examples.

Now there may be a couple of stars amongst them, but it would take time to sift and see. Maybe you have a coin someone here really, really needs for their collection! Or maybe not .. It depends how much time and effort you want to spend finding out I guess.

It might just be quicker maybe to list a few coins at a time somewhere like eBay. Or visit a dealer? People here might be able to suggest one near to you?

OK, you risk missing out on finding that rarity, but .. well, take a look at this:

DSC02756.jpg

This coin had 13 bids on eBay. It's a nice coin in decent condition. And eventually sold for .. £4.20.

Most coins don't sell for a fortune I'm afraid and the time and effort selling them has to be balanced with how much money they might make. Sometimes it's easier to take a bit of cash there and then rather than spend weeks in research and trying to find a buyer for a few quid more.

I hope that doesn't seem mean. It's just we get a lot of people visiting and asking 'how much'. And sadly a lot of the time the answer is .. not a great deal.

Having said that .. if you want to try I suspect the simplest way, rather than dozens of listing is to take some sharp really big photos of each sort of coin. 20 of the better pennies, all the foreign coins, the shillings ... take one photo of the fronts and turn them over (but keep them in the same position so people know which side matches which!!) and do it again.

Put them on photobucket and then post links in the For Sale area. Then people can look through for dates or grades ask for more details of any coins they might be interested in.

Hope that helps.

Edited by TomGoodheart
  • Like 1

Hiya thanks for that and i do understand what you are saying,i have uploaded just a few of the mainly foreign coins i have but not all of them though and as for all the 100's and over english old coins! thats gonna take some time to upload pics and yes i have took pics of front and back of the coins in the same order so folk know which coin is which! thanks for your advice too xxx

Hiya thanks for that and i do understand what you are saying,i have uploaded just a few of the mainly foreign coins i have but not all of them though and as for all the 100's and over english old coins! thats gonna take some time to upload pics and yes i have took pics of front and back of the coins in the same order so folk know which coin is which! thanks for your advice too xxx

Right. The two you've uploaded here - the 1930 and the 1966 - wouldn't get you more than pence after all the effort of putting them up for sale.

If you wanted an idea of how much modern coins are worth, you could do worse than invest a few £ in Chris Perkins' "Collectors' Coins GB" which is advertised here (he runs this forum), or you can get the Kindle version for even less. That gives the current market value of all British coins from 1797 (copper) and 1816 (silver and gold) in various grades, and lists any number of the scarce/rare varieties.

Edited by Peckris

If the 1930 penny was an Aussie 1930 penny you might do a (lot) bit better.

Good luck !!

Right. The two you've uploaded here - the 1930 and the 1966 - wouldn't get you more than pence after all the effort of putting them up for sale.

If you wanted an idea of how much modern coins are worth, you could do worse than invest a few £ in Chris Perkins' "Collectors' Coins GB" which is advertised here (he runs this forum), or you can get the Kindle version for even less. That gives the current market value of all British coins from 1797 (copper) and 1816 (silver and gold) in various grades, and lists any number of the scarce/rare varieties.

Hiya gonna get the book you suggested,i have that may different old coins i cant possibly put them all on here,bit i was wondering im using photobucket just now and can i upload all the pics of my coins imto one albumn? then post the link to it so you can see all of them? x

Hiya gonna get the book you suggested,i have that may different old coins i cant possibly put them all on here,bit i was wondering im using photobucket just now and can i upload all the pics of my coins imto one albumn? then post the link to it so you can see all of them? x

Oh yer kindle! im using Ipad so i should be able to buy it for that,im on it and thanks for all youre help too xxx

Possibly - but I personally loathe Photobucket so someone else here will advise about that.