British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

TomGoodheart

"where Have All The Coins Gone, Long Time Passing... "

Not much out there to my eyes. Certainly nothing that I want to add to my collection. Average eBay quality, even from larger auction houses.

So where are they, all those nice coins I have spaces in my trays for? With prices for quality material eye-wateringly high, nobody is selling? Everyone waiting until the Autumn?

:huh:

Its possible that the high quality thats been on offer has gone straight into the pension/longer term collections. I myself did buy to sell but ebay has also taken a nose dive in terms of prices for high grade material and i've noticed as you say Richard thats it just average stuff thats kicking around.

Now that i've got more spare and won't sell any of my coins for the peanuts the monkeys want to pay on ebay i've decided i won't be Parting with a damn thing anymore unless i have replaced it with something better.

Like you, i'm only looking for higher graded Chas I or Elizabeth I hammered plus hammered groats as a side dish. There's not a lot out there, but now it gives you more time to save for something of choice that may come up sooner or later, thats when the fight begins and in turn will push prices.

I must confess that I, too, have been hoarding. I'm really focusing on high quality material now and have picked up some top examples of Saxon pennies but there's not the constant stream there was a couple of years ago.

Those People who are paying for quality and buying quality obviously realise or have read that these higher/top graded coins are the ones which are going to achieve/realise better prices when the time comes to sell. They are definately being scurried away into collections, and now we must fight for every top coin as we saw with the Chas I shilling that was up at Spinks in April?

You just have to make sure you're Armed with the correct Budget or there will be tears

Buy the best you can afford.

I'm a bit like T'dog the funds are not there. :(

There are some nice ones about, though! Just not always identified as such. I was the underbidder on this rarity.

The quality coins are still there. The real question is what you are willing to pay to get them.

i'm willing to pay a tenner for them.

The quality coins are still there. The real question is what you are willing to pay to get them.

Not Charles I shillings. There is a distinct Lack of quality of those around. They are out there but people are holding onto them. The attached picture was one I bought about 9 months ago, the last one went at Spinks last coin sale in March I think it was, that was £1600 which was very expensive when you think it will sell for between £350 - £500. Richard is now trying to buy up quality, but in doing so may need to rethink pricing for said quality

post-5057-0-09696300-1401042870_thumb.jp

see quite a charles I few Shillings on Ebay.

having a nightmare on there though ATM, pictures are not working properly, but better then the one i got recently

1025574.jpg

1017537.jpg

they are around the price I paid for this one, which btw was over my usual amounts

missing out on loads myself recently, just gone checking my ebay for fail after fail, on things I want, William III Halfpennies, dunno why but bids are not increseaing in Increments they just spike from like starting price to whatever they sell for right at the end. only a few days after landing multiple bargain priced stuff

Edited by scott

I am still finding quality on my own area of interest. But no doubt that prices are on the increase for nice coins.

Not Charles I shillings. There is a distinct Lack of quality of those around. They are out there but people are holding onto them. Richard is now trying to buy up quality, but in doing so may need to rethink pricing for said quality

Not sure about 'buying up' (I should be so lucky!) but I have got much fussier about what I find attractive!

Unfortunately that often means higher prices.

my area of interest are (ufortunately) 1928-1936 half crowns :P lots on ebay to keep me busy

my area of interest are (ufortunately) 1928-1936 half crowns :P lots on ebay to keep me busy

Is that not a little restricted in scope? You could probably complete the series in a single day on eBay if you just wanted an example, or a couple weeks if you wanted unc or thereabouts.

Is that not a little restricted in scope? You could probably complete the series in a single day on eBay if you just wanted an example, or a couple weeks if you wanted unc or thereabouts.
According to most ebay sellers everything is UNC, but not all shite comes from ebay. The attached for instance comes from a Czech dealer and is described as EF

post-5057-0-35037400-1401097977_thumb.jp

According to most ebay sellers everything is UNC, but not all shite comes from ebay. The attached for instance comes from a Czech dealer and is described as EF

Extremely Fair?

why i said unfortunately :P

its like watching those tv programs where people hoard stuff in their house and they cant explain why, i cant explain why i want more than 1 BU+ 1935 Half crown :blink:

And you would think it would be easy but the last one (other than the one i bought today <_< ) that filled the full check list i have for that series was just under a month ago 1931 1936

why i said unfortunately :P

its like watching those tv programs where people hoard stuff in their house and they cant explain why, i cant explain why i want more than 1 BU+ 1935 Half crown :blink:

And you would think it would be easy but the last one (other than the one i bought today <_< ) that filled the full check list i have for that series was just under a month ago 1931 1936

Wow, someone got a bargain with that 1931. I'd figure scott, but the grade's too high... :P

• Like 1

nah my bargain today wasn't coin based.

Extremely Fair?

No, effectively flat.

Extremely Fair?

No, effectively flat.

Ah. Makes much more sense! ;)

It sits happily alongside its soulmates, Mostly Smooth, Almost Undulating and Guaranteed Effectively Flat (That's the TPGs' designation) :)

• Like 2

its an anne, EF stands for Eww Fatty.