British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

ozjohn

Should This Coin Be Cleaned

One of the coins I showed under another topic which had been slabbed someone remarked that it had been cleaned. Cleaning is something I would not embark upon

myself but if it is done properly well ok. I don't know how the person knew it had been cleaned other than it was very bright with no toning at all. I had another look at the coin and there was no evidence of scratching so probably it had been dipped rather than physically cleaned and the process had been carefully done. The attached jpegs show a 1913 halfcrown with much toning. What do you do with it? Leave as is but you can hardly see the coin or dip it to reveal the coin under all that oxide? Comments please

post-8305-0-79622200-1400974863_thumb.jp

post-8305-0-94815300-1400974893_thumb.jp

One of the coins I showed under another topic which had been slabbed someone remarked that it had been cleaned. Cleaning is something I would not embark upon

myself but if it is done properly well ok. I don't know how the person knew it had been cleaned other than it was very bright with no toning at all. I had another look at the coin and there was no evidence of scratching so probably it had been dipped rather than physically cleaned and the process had been carefully done. The attached jpegs show a 1913 halfcrown with much toning. What do you do with it? Leave as is but you can hardly see the coin or dip it to reveal the coin under all that oxide? Comments please

That looks like a nice coin, looking at the reverse. The "P" in Pense is really clear. If you do anything at all to the coin, just a quick dip only. It looks like it will look a lot better after the dip. :) You can't tell much from the Obverse, the detail can't be seen well, due to the toning.

Buy a jar of Goddards Silver Dip. Lower the halfcrown into it and keep there for NO MORE THAN 10 SECONDS. Lift out and IMMEDIATELY rinse. Examine - if it looks good, dry by dabbing carefully with a clean towel. But if halfway to improvement, try another 10 seconds, then rinse and dab dry. Don't dip for any longer or you risk an artificial and 'dipped' look to the coin.

Ultimately, it's your decision, but that halfcrown looks rather too heavily toned with all its lustre hidden; dipping briefly might be just what it needs.

• Like 1

Such strong toning cannot be removed. If its what you desire, only light toning (or tarnish as some people would call it) can be removed with Goddards silver dip but submerging no longer than 10 seconds and rinsing thouroughly under cold running water.

The one you have pictured here is beyond dipping as the toning is far too heavy in this instance.

You must have posted that as i was writing my reply Peckster

You must have posted that as i was writing my reply Peckster

Yes lol. But I'd say that 1913 halfcrown isn't a million miles away from the one you had such a great result with?

No, mine only had periphial toning Peck, i would never dip anything as heavy as the OPs, it won't do it any favours. I posted my "before and after" results on the forum somewhere.

• Like 1

I am sorry I re submitted this question as I could not find any record of it my appolgies

I am sorry I re submitted this question as I could not find any record of it my appolgies

No problem. As you've evidently found it again I'll delete the duplicate.

And if you haven't found them yet, if you look at the blue bar near the top of the page you should see a "View New Content" link which might help.

Alternatively if you click on your name at the very top of a page you should get a drop-down where the option to go to 'My Content' appears.

T

Edited by TomGoodheart

I have had bullion coins that have toned like that,however personally wouldn't really do anything to a coin that was worth more than it's bullion weight.

You could try hot water that you can just about touch,add a half teaspoon of salt,and a couple of heaped teaspoons bicarb of soda,mix well.Place a sheet of baking foil into a GLASS dish,set the coin onto it and pour on the mixture,you should start to smell Sulphur.

You could start with an initial try at this,if the desired affect is not reached,use the Goddards for the 10 seconds which will remove some of the top layer of the silver then try the bicarb again on the next layer.

I would be careful though a cleaned coin is a cleaned coin,however a toned coin is a natural process the Silver goes through no matter what colour it is.

Just as an after thought,I can remember watching a chap years ago boiling gold sovereigns in HP sauce,the smell was really bad sweet and really sickly.

"spoof@paypal.co.uk"

"spoof@paypal.co.uk"

Well that's as random as some of Peters posts. Jungle juice or the herbal Leaf?

"spoof@paypal.co.uk"

Well that's as random as some of Peters posts. Jungle juice or the herbal Leaf?

It's better than your Aye-phone. Complete but meaningful bollocks, if that's not an oxymoron. Your random word generator has been upstaged, Dave. :blink:

No, mine only had periphial toning Peck, i would never dip anything as heavy as the OPs, it won't do it any favours. I posted my "before and after" results on the forum somewhere.

Hi Azda,

Would like to see that coin. Any idea of the thread name?

Regards

Mark

Hi Azda,

Would like to see that coin. Any idea of the thread name?

Regards

Mark

I have an uneasy feeling - perhaps Dave will confirm? - that it was 'Coin Aquisition [sic] of the Week'. Good luck trying to find it in there...

• Like 1

No it was some other tgread Peck but i really can't remember which but i think it was something to do with cleaning coins and was around a year ago

• Like 1

Ok, i've managed to find the picture of the coin i had before i dipped it, can't find the after reult yet, i'll keep digging

P8230680.jpg

P8230679.jpg

Found the after result, just the REV for now

P8290704.jpg

To be fair Dave, although the toning on your coin was peripheral, the OP coin is the same kind of tarnish, just heavier. There looks to be some underlying attractive blue toning which slight dipping might bring out.