British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Garrett

Brisbane Anda/apta Coin Banknote And Stamp Show.

Looks like there is a large coin fair in Brisbane this weekend.

http://www.anda.com.au/ANDA_Brisb_2014.pdf

Anyone else going ?

Are they worth going to ?

I'll probably head out for a look on Sunday.

Can mint a 'B' mintmarked dollar if I want. Happy days. Hope there's a bar.

cheers

Garrett.

I've been a few times and it's good. Plenty of dealers looking to do business, though no bar.

Compared to other coin shows it's the biggest and the only one where you'll be able to get your mint-marked dollar.

I find the prize draw on entry a very strange thing - i mean surely you are either interested in coins or not - they cannot be after attracting "passing trade" as coin people look forward (and save up ) to these fairs often for months .

Surely attracting passing trade is a bad thing as they would just spoil the show for everyone else, nobody wants to push their way through dozens of people only attracted in by the prize draws

Thanks guys, not doing much Sunday so will have a look.

Perhaps the prize draws are there to keep people a little longer. They are drawn every hour. If you're ready to head off and it's only 20 minutes to the next draw you might as well have another look at that table over there.....

Think I'll pass on the mint-marked dollar. I only found out about the 2000 dollar mule the other day though, keeping an eye out for that from now on !!!

Went there today. There were some good coins there. A couple of gothic crowns and a holey dollar and dump. I also saw a penny black stamp for $80.

Brought a 1829 halfcrown in GVG grade.

post-8305-0-98767400-1400992591_thumb.jp

post-8305-0-30525100-1400992614_thumb.jp

Sorry GVF

Yes I saw two gothic crowns too,and a 30$ replica.

The GEF against the wall furthest from the Mint interested me for 2200 minus the discount. But there are too many fakes, and it didn't look GEF anyway, not that I pulled out the glass.

Roxbury's had three in Friday's auction from memory, they must be amongst the most common coin around....

Saw about five H8 groats, must be a few around.

Didn't see the holey dollar, and never looked at stamps.

Saw a 1827 penny marked aEF for 1500, but had faults and aEF might have been generous. I'm a type collector anyway....

It cost 10$ to mint a 1$ mintmark 'B' dolllar, so I passed. Apparently was a huge lineup for them on Sat.

Closest I came to buying anything was a E1 threepence for $265. Was VF or slightly better. Can't remember the mintmark but my Spink was saying 170 for VF for the 'S' number. Noble sold a slightly worse example for 200 plus the extras a few years ago.

A 1703 Anne VIGO haflcrown also looked nice, but I would like better than aVF (looked slightly less to me in British grading).

All up an enjoyable couple of hours for the ten buck entry fee.

Walked home, just over 3 hours, but a nice day.

Are you a Brisbane lad John ?

cheers Garrett.

Hi Garrett,

No I'm a 10 pound pom now a confirmed Australian. I lived and raised my family in Sydney for about 30 years and moved to Brisbane when my wife retired. My only weakness is I like halfcrowns and my excuse is they use to circulate in Australia.

Regards,

John

Sorry GVF

That looks a sure fire EF to me, though possibly cleaned?

Yes a nice coin John !