British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

It's really difficult buying from Ebay photos.

I've been looking for a bargain 1906 penny and just had to ask to return one purchased on Ebay because to me it had been polished.......even though the vendor reckons he bought it from Colin Cook as BU.

This is another one I'm considering. Is it me or does this look polished?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131190608502?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Looks like it might have been to me ... have you noticed he doesn't post to the UK?

I'm in the US at the moment. :D

Dipped, not polished IMO. Do you have a picture of the Colin Cooke bit?

Not sending a British coin to the UK seems strange to me if you are interested in selling the coin in the market that is likely to pay the best price. Also equally annoying when a UK seller

does not mail to Australia. However an email sometimes irons out any problems of this type.

Not sending a British coin to the UK seems strange to me if you are interested in selling the coin in the market that is likely to pay the best price. Also equally annoying when a UK seller

does not mail to Australia. However an email sometimes irons out any problems of this type.

This might be due to ebay's default settings. When you can get a refund through paypal for items 'not as described' as a right, it isn't a great leap forward to set the default to 'returns accepted' or even do away with the option.

The cost of exposure on foreign ebay sites is a good reason for restricting to uk only, even if you are willing to sell abroad.

Edited by Rob
  • Like 1

That 1906 penny just looks wrong.

Like a 50yr old who's had plastic surgery to look like a 30 yr old.

• Like 1

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1906-PENNY-/221429592379?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=p8177%252BUyGd4szQ2vUVs4PO3S%252B7k%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

The seller says (quote-copied & pasted, spelling mistakes 'n all), "I would point out that this coin came from an old collection from Collin cook, and were sold as B.U.coins by him. I have sold the hole collection with no complaints and thy all looked the same".

That 1906 penny just looks wrong.

Like a 50yr old who's had plastic surgery to look like a 30 yr old.

Another example of "if it looks too good to be true....."

I find a lot of sellers in the US won't "ship" overseas.......and as you say, it seems daft not offering a coin to buyers in that country when it's there it's likely to acheive the highest price. It's the same trip to the post office but just with a bit more effort labeling I suppose. Must be too difficult for them.

Another thing which gets me annoyed about US sellers......their descriptions. Maybe Bob could explain it?

For example with pennies.....what's the obsession with "Britannia seated right" (you don't say!).

And often, repeating the whole obverse legend like it's something to impress a prospective buyer, like "Georgivs V Dei Gra Britt Omn Rex Fid Def IND IMP : ONE PENNY Great Shape".

Round, maybe?! :wacko:

Just scrap most of the time anyway.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=111359159662&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:GB:3160

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GREAT-BRITAIN-1-PENNY-1912-F-KING-GEORGE-V-FACING-LEFT-BRITANNIA-SEATED-RIGHT-/390833224223?pt=US_World_Coins&hash=item5aff79ba1f

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1906-PENNY-/221429592379?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=p8177%252BUyGd4szQ2vUVs4PO3S%252B7k%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

The seller says (quote-copied & pasted, spelling mistakes 'n all), "I would point out that this coin came from an old collection from Collin cook, and were sold as B.U.coins by him. I have sold the hole collection with no complaints and thy all looked the same".

Holes do tend to all look the same, I must admit...

Does not ship to is normally a setting inserted by a third party translation service which translate listings onto other ebay sites such as Germany, Spain etc. ie a listing which states does not ship to the UK would in this case indicate that the same listing is actually on ebay.co.uk as well.

Luv from Dave

I always look on the UK ebay.co.uk site and an increasing number of sellers are not shipping to Australia. The mail service between our two countries is good very little is lost while Paypal allows secure transfer of cash what's the problem?

I always look on the UK ebay.co.uk site and an increasing number of sellers are not shipping to Australia. The mail service between our two countries is good very little is lost while Paypal allows secure transfer of cash what's the problem?

I think it used to be easier to select which countries you wanted to list/ sell to on eBay. I gather that now it costs if you want your listing to appear on ebay.com. And when I last looked it was simple enough to select worldwide sales but tedious to try to then say except Russia, China, etc.. So now I just list and assume it's UK only. It's laziness I guess. But simpler this way.

Just out of interest John, I didn't actively select any particular countries with my latest listing. I just followed what eBay told me!

Can you view it? And does it say I whether I'd sell to Aus? (151291713149)

Edited by TomGoodheart

I think it used to be easier to select which countries you wanted to list/ sell to on eBay. I gather that now it costs if you want your listing to appear on ebay.com. And when I last looked it was simple enough to select worldwide sales but tedious to try to then say except Russia, China, etc.. So now I just list and assume it's UK only. It's laziness I guess. But simpler this way.

Just out of interest John, I didn't actively select any particular countries with my latest listing. I just followed what eBay told me!

Can you view it? And does it say I whether I'd sell to Aus? (151291713149)

Hello, it's actual to Lithuania too. When looking straight to this listing I can see, that you are posting only to UK. Anyway, I can bid on it. And when searching, it's findable. So, there are only contacting seller on shipping rate issue.

Hello, it's actual to Lithuania too. When looking straight to this listing I can see, that you are posting only to UK. Anyway, I can bid on it. And when searching, it's findable. So, there are only contacting seller on shipping rate issue.

Thanks! That's very interesting! (Clearly I understand less and less how eBay works these days!)

If you post to certain countries, USA, Canada, Australia and possibly others, then you have to specify that you do so and tick the (chargeable) box for visibility on ebay.com. Otherwise your ad will not be seen in those countries.

• Like 1

I think you are not quite right. If you are ticking visibility on ebay.com, that means your listing will be visible without searching on ebay.com. But if not, as in this case, you can see this listing only when searching. It's nothing to do with sending to countries. About sending there are only shipping options, not visibility.