British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Granspennies

Coins Left In Old Box

Hello, I have a collection of coins that my Gran made up to and including 1967. There are a large number of pennies dating from 1860, halfpennies dating from 1903, also three pences, farthings, few half crowns and florins and shilling and sixpences.

I have been trying to find out the values as I wish to sell the coins. I believe some of them are less common however I am not familiar with the abbreviations used on the site.

Could anyone point me in the right direction to understand what I need to look for? I spent all day yesterday trying to list the coins and dates under the monarchs, still not completed. Then I find that the dates are not all I need to look for!

I wonder if the information I need is on this site or perhaps I should buy a book?

Any help appreciated,

Thanks

Condition is really all you need to look for! Unless Gran paid money for them and kept them as part of a splendid collection, I usually find that such accumulations aren't worth very much at all. In fact, the best thing to do is separate the pre 1947 silver coins and let me (or everyone here) know how many of each denomination you have. From that, a rough silver value can be deduced. In 99% of cases the coppers are worth less than the cost of posting them anywhere. You can post group pictures. I've upped the picture size limit in here to 500kb per image recently.

Only buy a book if you feel that Gran collected, rather than accumulated from change - or if you want to get into coins yourself and perhaps want to keep some or all of them!

Chris is being polite.

I would suggest you buy Collectors coins GB for about £7.(Amazon or from this site...it is also on ebay)

Look on Ebay and don't overgrade.

Maybe Gran had a few rarities.

All pre 1947 silver has a bullion value.

Good hunting and maybe become a new collector. :)

• Like 1

the early 1860's ones are the ones maybe.

the early 1860's ones are the ones maybe.

Normally taken from change in the 1960s and usually not much more than smooth discs, or at best with much of the legend worn off, the Queen a silhouette and with variety/die combination no longer discernible.

Condition is really all you need to look for! Unless Gran paid money for them and kept them as part of a splendid collection, I usually find that such accumulations aren't worth very much at all. In fact, the best thing to do is separate the pre 1947 silver coins and let me (or everyone here) know how many of each denomination you have. From that, a rough silver value can be deduced. In 99% of cases the coppers are worth less than the cost of posting them anywhere. You can post group pictures. I've upped the picture size limit in here to 500kb per image recently.

Only buy a book if you feel that Gran collected, rather than accumulated from change - or if you want to get into coins yourself and perhaps want to keep some or all of them!

I'm still seeing 150kb upload limit

I could suggest a coin grading book and the CCGB book Peter mentioned.

That way you can grade the coin then value them.

(Of course there may be some varieties that are not in the book ! )

I have them both on my iPhone purchased from this site for a few dollars/pounds each.

Good luck and welcome to the site !

Fixed that Dave. Now everyone (all groups etc) should have a 500k limit for pics.

hello, thank you all for the replies. Gran collected the coins over many years. There are hand written lists of all the coins she thought had and seperate lists of the ones she thought had value, and an address of an auctioneer in London. She seems to have tried to make complete collections and had them in monarch and then date order. She has written on the list the grading she believed the coins to be, ie fine v fine etc, however there is no mention in any of her lists about the other things I read about as I browsed this site. Amongst the boxes of pennies she had a folder filled with pennies that seems to be complete apart from 2 coins.

I will look into getting the download book mentioned here. Thank you for responding

test

post-4737-0-53592300-1400441230_thumb.jppost-4737-0-53107300-1400441276_thumb.jp

Ooh, I like this new bigger limit! :)

hello, thank you all for the replies. Gran collected the coins over many years. There are hand written lists of all the coins she thought had and seperate lists of the ones she thought had value, and an address of an auctioneer in London. She seems to have tried to make complete collections and had them in monarch and then date order. She has written on the list the grading she believed the coins to be, ie fine v fine etc, however there is no mention in any of her lists about the other things I read about as I browsed this site. Amongst the boxes of pennies she had a folder filled with pennies that seems to be complete apart from 2 coins.

I will look into getting the download book mentioned here. Thank you for responding

That all sounds more promising than a random dusty box. If she ordered them and listed them etc then it's a good sign, but doesn't always guarantee significant treasures! We'll see.

Trying out the photo option to get the hang of this!

That's a nice, respectable, in-between grade penny. Worth a few pounds in that condition, but they increase exponentially in value as you go up towards the Grail of mint condition. But certainly worth more than the 'washers' you see so often, e.g. on eBay.