British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

The Australian 20 cent. 10 cent and 5 cent coins which are still issued here follow the same size and weight of the imperial coins of England despite Australia changing to decimal currency in 1966. The Australian coins were .500 silver until this date. These coins correspond to the florin. shilling and sixpence respectively. A ,800 fine 50 cent coin was released in 1966 which was very close to the halfcrown in size and weight but was valued at 10/- or 50 cent and was later replaced by a Cu Ni coin. The 20 cent, 10 cent and 5 cent coins which correspond to the florin, shilling and sixpence still exist to this day. It also has to be said that the silver threepence was issued up to decimalization rather than the bronze issue that started in 1937 in the UK..Halfcrowns were never minted by the Royal Australian Mint but circulated in Australia as they were issued here prior to the issue of Australian coins in 1910 and circulated well into the 1920s and 1930s and perhaps later. An interesting series to collect and closely related to the coins of England.

The open work shilling you show is part of the first series of Australian coins with Edward VII on the obverse and they were minted by the Royal Mint. I'm no expert on Australian issues but there are some interesting issues like the 1915 (I think) florin where some have an H mint mark for the Heaton mint and one of the 1940s florin has a S mint mark for San Fransisco . Of course gold sovereigns were minted at the Sydney, Melbourne & Perth branches of the Royal Mint. However these coins were not exclusively Australian coins but were part of the imperial mintage. These mints also distributed imperial coins for use in Australia prior to 1910.

I'm interested in coins minted in Australia for England are there any (the early 1900 halfcrowns?? ) . Also Australian gold bullion used for English coins like the Ansell sovereign. Or conversely the 1827 penny minted in England for a growing colony... Any intel//stories?

Edited by Nicholas

I'm interested in coins minted in Australia for England are there any (the early 1900 halfcrowns?? )

Only half sovereigns and sovereigns (and the two and five pound coins but too only proofs were ever struck).

I quite like the Australian early issues. I picked up this well done openwork shilling reverse recently.

http://www.rpcoins.c... pics/03730.jpg

Nice cut out Rob. Are you moving towards my territory? :rolleyes:

I quite like the Australian early issues. I picked up this well done openwork shilling reverse recently.

http://www.rpcoins.c... pics/03730.jpg

Nice cut out Rob. Are you moving towards my territory? :rolleyes:

No, it's one I have listed for sale.