British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Paulus

Ashmore Coins

I have been meaning to ask this question for some time ... I am interested to know why these repros typically command a price of £20-£30 (on flea Bay) when they are nearly always clearly advertised as copies/forgeries and 'an Ashmore coin'?

They are good quality it seems, but what is to stop 'imitation Ashmores' flooding the market? Possibly nothing I guess ... is there a sub-market for such repros? Have I answered my own question!! Do any of you 'regular' collectors fill 'impossible' gaps with Ashmore coins?

Just interested!

Example:

link

Also, every single eBay listing seems to state 'an Ashmore coin' in the main listing description ... someone please enlighten me!

Edited by Paulus

There are collectors who have an Ashmore collection, but I'm not one of them. However, I have heard of reproductions of Ashmores being sold.

Some further reading is: Finn, P. April 2000: 'Ashmore Replicas - Revisited' Numismatic Circular, (London, Seaby). p. 50-54.

Edited by HistoricCoinage

I have a couple of Ashmore's tucked away.

Part of collecting I suppose.

Not sure what Ashmores, coins are. Have seen many reproductions on ebay.co.uk and complained about them and they seem to disappear after that. As far as I can see they are probably illegal as they are an attempt to forge a coin and on ebay could be used to deceive a buyer. In the US they insist that reproduction coins have replica stamped on them perhaps this should be followed in the UK to remove this doubt..

Ashmore produced many coins (especially for the US market) They were sucked in.

This was back in the 60's but many still are about.

It is worth getting an example and the majority of sellers describe them as Ashmore.

Ashmore coins described as Ashmore coins should not be complained about and forced to be removed as they are reproductions and labelled as such, although not explicitly but with the term 'Ashmore'. Perhaps Ashmore reproduction would be a better term.

I'm never sure. There are so many on ebay I do wonder if Ashmore isn't still making the things!

I find it odd that people seem to collect them. I have bought contemporary (ie 17th century) counterfeits before, but modern copies? I guess if there was a decent-enough-to-fool-Joe-public shilling of Charles I, I might buy it for my 'black' collection. Providing it wasn't expensive of course!