British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

HistoricCoinage

My First Slab

I've only gone and bought myself a slabbed coin. I must admit I was intrigued by how a hammered coin would appear slabbed, as I've never seen one in person. But I did buy it for the coin and so I'm now contemplating the best method of breaking the coin out, especially as the NNC do not seem to be as respected as other TPGs.

I'm thinking of using a small hacksaw to open the slab but would welcome any suggestions.

TPG1.jpg

TPG2.jpg

Uh, this "character" is renowned for overgrading of coins....

I have gotten bold and really do naughty slab removals (grab the slab with two pliars and twist). Do NOT do this as shards of plastic and coin may go flying. Hacksaw away from coin generally works fine...

Hacksaw would be good! I've always 'cracked' milled coins out with pliers and pincers, but I wouldn't trust that method with hammered coins!

Do NOT do this as shards of plastic and coin may go flying.

:lol: I'll bear that in mind!

Hacksaw would be good!

I'll post my results and will try it later this week. It's more of an experiment than anything as it's not an overly expensive coin.

XF-40? erm... right

or you could jsut leave it in there.

NNC are self slabbers (Centsles)

He doesn't post to the UK now.

I have bought a few coins in the past but just ignored the grade.

I want to take it out for two reasons.

1) The C in NICHOLE looks like an E but it's hard to tell through the plastic.

2) Most British collectors prefer their hammered coins 'raw'.

Only two?

Only two?

:lol: Stuart is such a fan of slabbed!

Only two?

Well, maybe three. But it's a contentious one that I know's been raised on here many-a-time. :rolleyes:

I had a look at the website and was rather amused to read their t & c

Condition 8 "EXCLUSION AND LIMITATION OF WARRANTIES, EXCEPT AS OTHERWISE EXPRESSLY SET FORTH HEREIN, NNC DISCLAIMS (a) ALL WARRANTIES, STATUTORY OR OTHERWISE, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, (B) ALL OTHER REPRESENTATIONS MADE BY THE UNDERSIGNED AND © ALL OTHER OBLIGATIONS OR LIABILITIES WITH RESPECT TO ITS GRADING SERVICE. IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABLITY AND FITNESS ARE EXPRESSLY EXCLUDED AND DISCLAIMED. THERE ARE NO WARRANTIES WHICH EXTEND BEYOND THE FACE HEREOF."

I have never heard of anyone trying to disclaim a "statutory" warranty.

Part of condition 9: "PLEASE NOTE: We are no longer accepting submissions from Singapore due to the large number of counterfeit coins coming from there." Well, is not really an issue if they can tell a counterfeit coin from the real thing.

Their prices:

1 – 10 coins: $10.00 ea

11 – 49 coins: $9.00 ea

50 – 100 coins: $8.00 ea

I guess you get what you pay for!

Part of condition 9: "PLEASE NOTE: We are no longer accepting submissions from Singapore due to the large number of counterfeit coins coming from there." Well, is not really an issue if they can tell a counterfeit coin from the real thing.

Oh my. That just fills me with confidence...

Centles reputation is even scorned in the US and Canada.

As I said I've bought a few coins and been more than happy.

There used to be huge listings of UK coins on Ebay.com

Midnight oil sniping.

He once listed a 1874 1/4d both G's over without a clue.

I tried but it was a London meeting the next day.

I didn't get it. :(

I came across a good story about them:

"Until about a month ago when a guy came in with a NNC MS68 1932 D Washington quarter...

He stated he got it off Ebay for 3500 dollars, and wanted to get my opinion and try to make some fast cash. Now I have to say this, the coin was AMAZING, which is why it caught my eye. I mean full cartwheel, solid unmarked fields, and a luster that would make you cry for this coin... IT GLEAMED. So I examined it under my scope, and sure enough, the d was real, the field were immaculate, and the coin was breathtaking. BUT......... Being in the buisness, I know one thing.. NEVER BUY CRAP you cant fully see from these companies.

So I made a deal with the guy, he has been a customer for about 3 years, that I would send it in to PCGS for regrade and reholder at my expense, and pay the agreed price upon return of the coins authenication. He agreed and off the coin went. Low and behold, my intuitions were right, The coin was a fake.. The coin had a 1932 face, and another D minted reverse.. Some mackinist had literally sawed the coin in half, and bound to different sided together. and of course in the NNC holder, you couldnt see the seem. I contacted the owner, and he spoke to the PCGS rep, and the coin was sent back. Upon recieving it, I got to see the seem, and man was if OBVIOUS.... Someone had done a good job to be honest, but it was very evident the edge of the quarter was tampered with."

Centles reputation is even scorned in the US and Canada.

As I said I've bought a few coins and been more than happy.

There used to be huge listings of UK coins on Ebay.com

Midnight oil sniping.

He once listed a 1874 1/4d both G's over without a clue.

I tried but it was a London meeting the next day.

I didn't get it. :(

I have one coin from Centsles and it was worth the wait (it took him nearly a month to ship it to me!).

BUT, in general, I wouldn't recommend buying anything from him that's in his homemade slab -- the coin I bought was in an NGC slab, so I felt safer -- and it was a VERY difficult token.

I brought a slabbed 1920 halfcrown from Centles graded at MS-62. While I am in general agreement with the grading NNC may have arrived at it more by luck than judgement

as this issue is very lightly struck and in addition it is the larger head low relief variety. I appoligize for the quality of the jpeg but it gives an idea of the coin.

post-8305-0-33970800-1400144670_thumb.jp

I brought a slabbed 1920 halfcrown from Centles graded at MS-62. While I am in general agreement with the grading NNC may have arrived at it more by luck than judgement

as this issue is very lightly struck and in addition it is the larger head low relief variety. I appoligize for the quality of the jpeg but it gives an idea of the coin.

That's something of a tautology! The shallow head variety always appears to be lightly struck - that's the nature of the beast and why it was modified to begin with.

I'm surprised that people still buy from this joke of a seller. His name is highlighted all over the Internet for his dodgy slabs and even dodgier grades

• Like 1

Re the 1920 halfcrown. I've had it for awhile now.

It's free. A junior hacksaw did the trick. :)

• Like 1

It's free. A junior hacksaw did the trick. :)

Whooooo, hoooooo! :)

There was a batch sold on eBay last night, they were all just as ridiculously overgraded